Real Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMcK, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

What exactly is a bananna plug - what are they used for??

2. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Bananna plugs are simply a wire terminator that allows a wire to be easily connected to a speaker or receiver/amp. It basically is a pin that has a flair in the middle (to help it stay inserted), hence it looks kinda like a bananna.
    Most binding posts on the back of recievers/amps and speakers have holes in the center of them that the bananna plug plugs into. It makes hooking up systems much easier.

-- John

3. ChrisMcK

So the bare speaker wire is inserted into the bananna plug which, in turn, is inserted into binding post on the back of the speaker?
    What do they do to sound??

4. Andrew_Lansing

Andrew_Lansing Auditioning

Click Here

Link to E-bay DVD collection auction edited out by moderator - Cees Alons

5. ChrisMcK

Is this allowed, posting links to an ebay auction. I know I don't want this as a reply to my threads

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

While this LINK to various types of electronics connectors may be overkill, it depicts banana plugs.

About 99.99 percent of the time, banana plugs are used for ease of connection where binding posts are provided, and electrically dont degrade signal strength where a tight wire/screw connection is made with no copper strands hanging out.

It the older hi-fi days, purists wud swear by direct bare wire and wud even tin the ends with solder, or use spades for more screw-down surface area contact. The convenience of banana plugs has made it a more popular method.

7. Larry_Johnson

Larry
    Can you put a banna clip in a spring connector??

8. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Nope.

-- John

9. Larry_Johnson

Larry
    So what I should do is run my 12g wiring in my wall and put a wall plate with a binding post. This way I can connect a banana clip on it an bare wire the other end.

Then when I decide to upgrade to a better system I'll already have the wire in wall and can do an easy swapp....???

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Those SmartHome and/or Leviton modular wall plates are ok, but may be overkill for speaker wiring.

First, it's considered best to have a straight run of wire whenever possible -- not so much for signal loss but to avoid more "splices" where connections can go awry, sometimes out of sight in the wall.

Pulling the speaker wire for the full length of the speaker PLUS leaving 2-3 ft of slack in the wall not stapled to a stud tightly if at all, works fine if you attach a decora style wall plate with a round hole just big enough for the 12gauge run(s).

Later, you can add a banana plug for a spkr, or even go back and put in that modular gang box.

The simplest way to attach a wall plate cover is screw it directly to the wallboard w/ #6 EZs anchors which will accommodate the cover screws that come in the package. More secure wallboard anchors can be used if desired.

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Larry:

If you have spring clips, go to Radio Shack and look into "Pin Connectors" (278-309). These work for spring clips.

I love the Radio Shack dual bananas: (xxx-308) for behind the speakers, single bananas (xxx-306) for behind the receiver (because the dual plugs stick out too far).

I second Bill's suggestion: Run 12 speaker wire in a un-broken line from receiver to rear speakers. Install electrical outlet box's (They make them to slip into sheat rock and tighten down). Run the speaker wire through the box's and use blank wall plates. Simply drill holes through the wall plates and thread the wire through.

Later you can cut the speaker wire near the plate and install wall-plates with binding posts for a neater look.

12. Larry_Johnson

Larry
    This room is being created from scratch.

In my basement, 10w 27l 7h is the area set aside for it.

Two walls will be double studded and two are concrete and will be single studded. Varying thickness drywall and 90lb tar paper, to protect the rest if basement and house. The 7ft is to where the drop ceiling's will be. Air gap above it for sound reducing.

So the behind the scenes wiring is all from scratch including running new electrical to make it off two dedicated circuits.

So still the same ideas for speaker termination on the walls?

13. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Andrew, nice contribution in your short tenure as a member....two links to your ebay auction. You are a credit to the board.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons