What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony finally provides an updated transfer for its 1985 cult favorite Real Genius, now available on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

Real Genius (1985)

Released: 07 Aug 1985
Rated: PG
Runtime: 108 min

Director: Martha Coolidge
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Sci-Fi

Cast: Val Kilmer, Stacy Peralta, Daniel Ades
Writer(s): Neal Israel, Pat Proft, PJ Torokvei

Plot: An uptight teenage prodigy enters a top engineering college, but feels awkward among the freewheeling students. When a professor aims to turn their laser project into a military weapon, he and his offbeat roommate plot to ruin the...

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: 71

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I will get this on a blind buy- anything captured on film by the great Vilmos Zsigmond I’m all in for. I had no ideas he did any comedies. Thanks for another highly informative review Todd.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I just redeemed my Movies Anywhere code.

Movies Anywhere: HDR10 and DD+ stereo (WTF?)
Apple TV/iTunes: DV/HDR10 and Dolby Atmos
Vudu: DV/HDR10 and Dolby Atmos
Prime Video: HD and stereo (even though a UHD version is available to purchase)

I have also contacted Sony regarding the wonky DTS-HD MA 2.0 stereo track and will report back if I hear anything.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I will get this on a blind buy- anything captured on film by the great Vilmos Zsigmond I’m all in for. I had no ideas he did any comedies. Thanks for another highly informative review Todd.
He did quite a few comedies, including three episodes of The Mindy Project (one of the last things he worked on before he passed away), Jersey Girl, Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda, Richard Donner's Maverick, and even a Veggie-Tales short!

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm definitely in for this one. I had popped by my local Best Buy earlier this afternoon, but while they had the also-out-this-week Monty Python's Meaning of Life, they didn't have this. I'll see about getting it at Bull Moose.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm definitely in for this one. I had popped by my local Best Buy earlier this afternoon, but while they had the also-out-this-week Monty Python's Meaning of Life, they didn't have this. I'll see about getting it at Bull Moose.
Deep Discount has it for $19.99

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, my copy arrives tomorrow from Target as it was my free 4K disc during their last "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale. Anyhow, I purchase the iTunes HD digital all the way back in 2017, for $4.99 and it has upgraded to 4K/DV/DA. I never did purchase the MOD Blu-ray.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
By the way, my copy arrives tomorrow from Target as it was my free 4K disc during their last "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale. Anyhow, I purchase the iTunes HD digital all the way back in 2017, for $4.99 and it has upgraded to 4K/DV/DA. I never did purchase the MOD Blu-ray.
None of the digitals include special features, though.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Will order this from Amazon. Have always liked it, and good news is the high marks Todd gives it for the freshened video.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I've loved this movie since the 80s. Very quotable too. I have wanted a blu of this for years, but the only option was the burned one and pricey at that. Glad I held off.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Deep Discount has it for $19.99
Thanks for the tip. I bought from them before, but I prefer buying in brick'n'mortar stores to on-line. There are obviously some things that are harder (if not damn impossible) to get in a b'n'm, but if I can get it in person I'd rather do that. Makes it less likely to get floating disc or broken case that way. I also like the personal touch.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Thanks for the tip. I bought from them before, but I prefer buying in brick'n'mortar stores to on-line. There are obviously some things that are harder (if not damn impossible) to get in a b'n'm, but if I can get it in person I'd rather do that. Makes it less likely to get floating disc or broken case that way. I also like the personal touch.

What store will have this?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Who knows? As I had said in the previous reply, my local Best Buy had copies of Monty Python's Meaning of Life on hand (and Shout Factory's Platoon 4K, as well). They just didn't have this. I'll check Bull Moose when I'm there next (they have brick'n'mortar stores in my area). The thing is that it doesn't take much time to check BB, Target, and Wal-Mart -- in my town, BB and Target are literally right next to each other (they share a common wall) and Wally isn't far away -- to see if I can pick up a copy in person before I order on-line.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
A great unsung movie back in the day. Have always enjoyed this, but I think my Blu-ray is good enough. They have got to show real value for me to go 4K on this baby.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

BBY will not since it's an 8 digit SKU
Target and Walmart don't have it in stock
BN sometimes but they really don't carry a lot of general 4K items -- this doesn't seem to be one.

A few independents list it in stock
Bullmoose has it at least in a few stores is appears, Zia Records in AZ/NV. Possibly Amoeba in CA

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A great unsung movie back in the day. Have always enjoyed this, but I think my Blu-ray is good enough. They have got to show real value for me to go 4K on this baby.
The new transfer and 5.1 audio on the remastered Blu-ray included in this set are really worth it, in my opinion. The previous Blu-ray was burned, not pressed, so you may want to take that into consideration as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks