Real Genius SE ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by T r o y, Feb 9, 2005.

1. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

One of my all time favorite Val Kilmer movies was 1985's Real Genius. I was thinking of buying the current edition but before I do, was wondering if there might be word that a SE might be near? With more extras and supplements?

BTW, how is the quality on the current version ?

Thanks Yall!

Troy

2. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't know about a SE but I would say if you want it, get it before those idiots at Columbia decide re-issue the disc with only the Pan and Scan side.

I'd say the quality is about what you would expect from an 80s catalog title. Not stellar, but not bad.

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I doubt that this will ever get an SE of any merit, it wasn't a hit when it was first released & I don't think it has reached any cult status like some other initial flops (for example The Thing) to garner an SE treatment......but you never know, maybe if Anchor Bay, Blue Underground or perhaps even Criterion could get a hold of it it might...but that doesn't seem likely, to me at least.

I do like the film though, I always thought Michelle Meyrink was a cutie.

4. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

On the other hand, it was a perennial favorite on the low-buck TV channels for a while (USA, Comedy Central, etc.) so its audience has definitely grown slowly but surely.

Can't go anywhere now without someone in my office not "getting it" whenever I say something is "a moral imperative".

Same goes for "itsa LASER-beam DUMMY!"

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

It's one of my favorites, but I haven't bought it yet. Maybe it's the awful cover art that scares me off:
    [​IMG]

6. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

To be fair they've included an insert that has the orignal poster art so you can just use that as a cover.

7. Jason Bennion

Ugh, that cover is really hideous. This would be nice addition to the library, though -- I always liked the scene where they're ice-skating in the dorm and the ice suddenly evaporates...

8. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I particular liked Kilmer's character in the movie. I thought he was hilarious. Especially his facial expressions mixed in with his dialogue. He really had some hilarious lines and he delivered them wonderful and funny.
    Even when he was trying to be serious , He was even Funny! Just because the way he would say a line.

I was shopping online last night and saw that Walmart has RG for $13.87. I'll be picking up this version this weekend.

Peace Out!
    Troy

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hell, back in the 80's after it first came to cable you couldn't avoid it, just like Beastmaster.
    I think it is well liked by many people but I don't think it quite attained the level of fanish love that those others (Beastmaster included of course) have.

10. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

"I was thinking of naming my first child after you."

"Really?"

"Yea, Dipshit Knight has a nice ring to it."

[​IMG]

If anyone wants a custom cover I have for the current DVD, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and I 'll send it to you.

11. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

I always wanted to pick this up, but I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $21.99! I couldn't believe it. I wasn't about to pay that. Maybe it will have a pricedrop soon..

12. WillG

WillG Producer

And you know what will be dropped along with the price.....The Widescreen Side. Deep Discount DVD has it for $13.91 That's still a bit steep for what you get on the disc, but better than what Best Buy Has. For the Record I got mine at Wal*Mart for 7 some odd dollars when they were having a sale.

13. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

any new news?

14. Grady Reid

Grady Reid Stunt Coordinator

Grady
    This movie is one of my favorites from the 80's. Quite a rarity- a smart teenage comedy.
    Having seen the movie many times, you tend to notice little "holes" in the movie where maybe they cut a subplot. Also- look on the inside of Mitch and Chris's room. How did that drawing of Mitch get there? According to the IMDB, there is one scene that made it in the trailer and not the final cut (Chris in the balloon chair). And Patti D'Arbanville's role feels like it was trimmed quite a bit.
    This movie seems ripe for a special edition- complete with a commentary from Martha Coolidge.

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just got it for $5.99 at Fry's, it seems to go on sale there every other week. I think this was the last 2-sided disc Sony put out before they decided the average consumer was too stupid to figure them out. I wouldn't be surprised if this got "converted" to 'Full Screen', though they couldn't make the cover much worse than it already is!

Funny thing is I first saw this movie on VHS and didn't like it too much (the pan & scan was annoying, but I also didn't find it funny) but my friend bought the widescreen laserdisc when it came out and I've enjoyed it since then!