What's new

Real Genius (1985) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
42430_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Finally can retire my ws/fs dual sided DVD. Do these Sony MOD disc come down in price?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally can retire my ws/fs dual sided DVD. Do these Sony MOD disc come down in price?

Not so far, but they're still new. I've seen a few for $21 on other sites so $15 isn't unreasonable to hope for sooner rather than later.
Or better yet, hope that a $8-10 EU real disc will show up like with several others of the Choice line. It's going to take a spectacular disc to get me interested in a burned disc for more than $5-10.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I love this film. Some of the film was shot on my college campus (Occidental College), and other bits at Cal Tech. But I will NOT pay these prices for a BD-R. I will look to import a pressed Blu-ray from another region (carefully though, because I am not region-free), and if that isn't available, I will just keep my DVD. I'm willing to buy, Sony... but not a BD-R!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched my copy. Great transfer, but I still feel like I got taken paying well over $20 for a burned disc. Coming from a big studio it feels like a pirate operation-no shrink wrap, and a weird sticker holding the case closed. No menu screen. I'm sure much more care would have been given from Twilight Time, Kino, or Criterion. Oh well.
IMG_0697.JPG

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This looks great and with the commentary I'm predestined to line up to buy. However, I agree that $27 is a bit pricey even if it was a true pressed blu-ray. Isn't the whole idea of the studio going MOD by using a BD-R to save on resources and costs? So why the high price? If this was $15 I would already have it. And, since it's MOD and will not be in stores, who is the testimonial review from the Los Angeles Times on the cover for? Whoever buys this already knows it's a great movie.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
In looking for those song videos above I stumbled upon one from 2013 with Gabriel Jarret who is surprising to see as an adult since he did not continue acting in high profile films past adolescence.

Here's another one!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This looks great and with the commentary I'm predestined to line up to buy. However, I agree that $27 is a bit pricey even if it was a true pressed blu-ray. Isn't the whole idea of the studio going MOD by using a BD-R to save on resources and costs? So why the high price? If this was $15 I would already have it. And, since it's MOD and will not be in stores, who is the testimonial review from the Los Angeles Times on the cover for? Whoever buys this already knows it's a great movie.

The future of studio released catalog titles. Super high price for a bare bones(can't even afford to have the titles shrink wrapped) burned disc. Fans of these films can "take it or leave it", and those curious about a title that have never watched it but the prohibitive cost prevents them from giving it a go...yeah, great strategy.
And when 1,800 units are sold over the course of two years or more, the blame will be put on the "lack of interest" from consumers regarding catalog titles.

Now more than ever we need boutique labels to handle all catalog titles.
Except WB Archive. They are reasonably priced, and have done a really good job with their deep catalog titles so far.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Real Genius has been teased for a BD release twice already in Scandinavia by Sony the past couple of years (pre-order price at the time was just shy of US$12 too before the release was cancelled) so I have a feeling it'll turn up as a pressed disc in Europe eventually. I can wait, I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I really want this and frankly would be annoyed at a $20 price for a title like this, let alone $26, but I also doubt that the price will drop much.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think under $15 (possible $12 by Christmas) is pretty predictable within a couple months, but we;ll see. I've already seen The Net and a couple other around $16 level though due to The Net German pressed disc being less the $10 shipped I didn't order it

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just pulled a double feature-'Three O'clock High'-followed by 'Real Genius' Both are spectacular transfers. With Three O'clock High taking a slight lead in overall image quality.

It's funny, I never considered any of these two films "second tier" films from the 80's yet I know I haven't watched either of them many times compared to the more popular John Hughes films, and Big blockbusters of the time like Back To The Future, and The Goonies.. Late 80's HBO they were a staple, but on DVD home video I never gave them much attention.

I guess I'm glad I waited until BD to fully appreciate that these films are now much more enjoyable than I remember them being 30 years ago.. Real Genius is just a fun, goofy movie that I now love, and Three O'clock High is filmed is such a way that that the stylistic direction heightens the ominous atmosphere with the strange, and funny humor front and center at all times...as a sort of comfort zone before the storm hits.

Great films, both of them. Underrated? I think so.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I got impatient with the price and ended up just purchasing the movie on iTunes for $12 with a gift card and recently watched it on the Movies Anywhere app on my Roku. Transfer was decent for a mid-1980s flick. I'm not a fan of MOD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got impatient with the price and ended up just purchasing the movie on iTunes for $12 with a gift card and recently watched it on the Movies Anywhere app on my Roku. Transfer was decent for a mid-1980s flick. I'm not a fan of MOD.
Same here, but I got lucky as that title was on sale just before Christmas for $4.99!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks