What's new

Reagge SACD's? (1 Viewer)

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
Just beginning my venture into sacd and am a reagge and jazz fan. I ordered Peter Tosh from digital eyes. Does anyone know if more reagge sacd's are available?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You could get Monty Alexander's STIR IT UP - THE MUSIC OF BOB MARLEY, Telarc CD-83469-SA .
It's jazz and reggae all in one good tasting hybrid SACD! That may be about it so far...? Best wishes!

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Racheal
Looks like Telarc has a Monty Alexander with Sly and Robbie too. I just might have to pick these 2 up.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Have there been any additions to SACD reggae offerings?

How is Peter Tosh's "Legalize It"? As I understand, eveything was mixed by placing the vocals, guitar, bass, & drums heavily in the center channel & using the other channels as surrounds. This sounds a bit strange to me, and wanted to see if anyone could comment?

TIA!

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
Piers C,

Legalize It is definately a strange mix. It is, as you noted, center channel heavy with the fronts and rears only seaminly acting as surrounds. I don't care for the multichannel of this disc and therefore usually listen to it in 2 channel. This is a great reggae disc with a bad multichannel mix, imo. I wish there were more reggae sacd's. I have about 60 redbook reggae cd's that I would love to see on sacd, maybe someday!

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Steven,

Thanks for sharing your reaction to the multichannel mix.

On the SACD disc you can switch between multichannel and stereo? Or are you saying, you just rely on your redbook version of "Legalize It"?

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
On the SACD disc you can switch between multichannel and stereo?
Yes, The disc has a multichannel and 2 channel sacd audio. It is not a hybrid, meaning no redbook layer. Peter Tosh is the only real reggae sacd that I know of, I don't consider Monty REAL reggae although I have and enjoy one of Monty's sacd's.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steven.
I didn't understand that this disc had both on it. I had visions of being stuck with just the one mix!
I agree that Monty is not the genuine article...but with a limited catalog I can understand people wanting to stretch the category. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks