What's new

Ready to paint ,would brown walls be okay? (1 Viewer)

Hank_P

Second Unit
I've searched through here on paints/painting and there seems to be many post for the grey/blue/black colors. The problem I'm running into is that my room has many browns. Is just going "darker" going to be better (I currently have an antique white color) as the room is not dedicated HT.

I've been to all the big chain hardware stores looking at all the different shades of black/grey and even burgundy, but they just don't seem to strike me in the way that I would like to see my room. My leather couches are brown and my tables are even a darker/mahagony brown. Will some deep browns be okay, or am I still looking at having relection problems? I seem to be "color-challenged" and any insight if anyone else has gone "brown".

Hank

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I don't see any reason why you could'nt go with brown. However, another color might help compliment the other shades of brown in the room. I think what really counts is what appeals to you the most. Its your room and if all brown lights your candle, then do it. I myself have gone with a skyblue room with very dark blue carpet,but the curtains around the screen are merlot colored velvet. The combination is very nice. Good luck with your room!

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks Gary. I wasn't sure what other colors might compliment the browns I currently have. I was just thinking that the earthly colors might envoke a comfortable, cool feeling. Then again, it might envoke someone go to home and smack there mother... one just never knows.

The walls are textured, and there is not chair railing to maybe break it up into a two-toned look. Since there is a texture on the walls, would semi-gloss be okay because I don't get that shine from a flat surface... or just go FLAT and don't worry about it?

This week, I'll buy a gallon and paint one of the smaller walls with several coats to get the true color. If I like and don't get a "..what the hell" from the wife.. I'll move forward :)

Keith M.

Second Unit
I myself am going with a brown pallete. Check out Home Theater Builder magazine, I think it was one of there last issues where they show theater color palletes and brown was one of them.

I think the browns will compliment the blacks of all the equipment and screen border. My leather seating is a mustard color and looks awsome with brown walls.

Go for it!:)

MikeWh

Second Unit
Since there is a texture on the walls, would semi-gloss be okay because I don't get that shine from a flat surface... or just go FLAT and don't worry about it?
Semi-gloss is usually used on trim/mouldings and in high-traffic area. I really wouldn't recommend it for a wall, even with the texturing. I think you'll still get a fair amount of sheen back into the room.

I like eggshell as a good compromise between durability and sheen. I decided to use satin on some of the walls in my HT, thinking that it would create a more elegant look... turned out to really just highlight some of my not-so-good drywall joints. If I were to do it again, I would have gone with a flat or eggshell paint.

re: color---

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Find a "non-color-challenged" person to help you out. My wife and my sister-in-law were both excellent resources for my color choices. You have to also look at your particular style and tastes.... bold colors or very deep tones can be very intimidating for some people. In my case, I can't stand pastels. So, go with what makes you comfortable.

2. Pick up a BUNCH of paint chips from the store, and BRING THEM HOME. Look at the chips in the room you are planning to paint, or against the furniture you are trying to compliment. Lighting is crucial. If you look at color chips in the store, the paint dept. usually has a set of viewing boxes with different light sources. The fluorescent lighting in the store will really throw off the colors.... make sure you use the incandescent or halogen sources (depending on what's at home), when reviewing chips in the store. Ultimately though, I recommend bringing them home, especially if you will be using dimmers and accent lighting.

Also, take a serious look at the "designer palettes"-- the Ralph Lauren, Martha Stewart, etc. lines. The chips are quite often arranged in complimentary or analogous colors, rather than the typical arrangement for standard Behr, Glidden, etc. lines, where they are usually arranged by color families (a single hue, varying in intensity).

Here is a link to the Ralph Lauren site:
http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/produc...ult_howto.asp?

Click on the "Paint... Paint Palette" link on the left side. Choose Lifestyle Colors and then look through the Naturals and Thoroughbred palettes.

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Hank, I used a color with a bit of brown tint in it, and I loved it! Gives you something a little bit different. You can see mine by clicking on my website above.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Shawn,

I was going back to find the link to your site as an excellent example of what can be done with browns... :D

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks guys, and nice room Shawn. I would love to have that amp. My wife is looking at that color to an adjacent room, somewhat of subtle transition from one room to the next. Sorry Mike, I couldn't get your virtual tour to load, as I'm at work and "firewall" challenged.

I think it will look okay (feeling less paranoid about the color). The brown I'm looking at is called "Derby Brown". If you have the small box of Crayola's, it's the brown one :) (more along the line of chocolate). I will feel better if I go with Flat color also. I've got to find that Home Theater Builder maagazine, it might have some color ideas I've missed.

We don't have any kids or pets and if any marks accidentally happen, I'll just touch it up with a little paint.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have brought home all the paint chips my pockets could carry. Like you say, the light in that room plays an important role (as I do photography on the side). I know it will be very different in the day and night. I'm not using any dimmer or specialty lighting, but as I walk around the room and hold it up, it makes me hesitant. Much like yourself, it will be a cold day before any pastel color touches my brush :)

In the link, the color I'm looking at in the naturals section, is like Eagles Nest (page 6). I now see a few others I would like to view against my room. Thanks, back to the store I go. Does Lowe's have the best examples of these designer colors.. I don't remember seeing any of Ralphs natural colors there.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Lowe's and Home Depot carry different designer brands (I think it's so they don't directly compete and so price matching is less of an issue). I know that Ralph Lauren is a Home Depot thing. I think Lowe's carries Laura Ashley, Alexander Julian, Eddie Bauer, and a few others. I'd check out Eddie Bauer, since the brand is known for earthy/rugidness.

Also... we had a thread on this just recently-- Lowe's American Tradition latex has gotten very good reviews from Consumer's Reports. They should be able to color match a "designer color." I had Home Depot match a Ralph Lauren color, using Behr Premium Plus.

I just heard from a friend of mine that one of the big box stores in our area has recently said they won't color match the designers, saying that it's harder to match bold colors and results are sometimes disappointing. (I think it's so they can sell the often more expensive designer paint.)

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks Mike, I'm going there when I leave work today. I have a question for you.. how close to Raleigh are you... New Bern is what I call home.. now located in Indy, but NC will always be home.

MikeWh

Second Unit
I'm in a suburb of Raleigh... so reaaaal close.

Ironically, I was born in Indy. :D
Parents lived in Speedway for years!

Hank_P

Second Unit
wow.. very ironic. I'm on the southwest side, just south of the airport.

Thanks for your help. I told my wife I need more samples and she rolled her eyes enough to kill somebody.. mostly me. I'll have to give you an update on the finished product.

Hank

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I don't see why you would have to paint your home theater in a dark color. The best home theaters I have seen have been painted in very light colors. But if you decide you have to paint it dark, try a chocolate brown. While it sounds bad, I have seen several rooms lately in this color and it really looks sharp. And if you are near a Lowes, their American Traditions interior paint was found by Consumers Reports to be a very good paint. I think it topped the others on durability, etc.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Between the crown molding and the brown brick fireplace, I have a lot of brown in my room... and to compliment it, I want with dark beige on the walls(looks orange in the picture though) and I think it looks very warm and inviting.

Browns can really work if done right.

here's a pic

Hank_P

Second Unit
Kevin that looks very sharp... yes, the browns do look good. That room looks very inviting and I can't wait to show my wife that pic. I had it in my head that it really needed to be a "dark" color based on searches and other post, but I've seen many nice theaters with what I would call a lighter color. It really does come down to what I want impressions I want with that room. From the input I've received over the past couple of days, I've decided to rethink my colors (still with brown) but maybe not as dark on the walls. Torgny even suggested something in the "chocolate" family which looks like something you have Kevin. I think one of my first color I like was called "hot chocolate" (maybe first impressions are important). Thanks for the pic Kevin, very impressive (I have those exact end tables in the "dark chocolate" color).

Hank_P

Second Unit
well my initial color didn't work out. I picked a light brown (Cliff's Edge), but once I painted about a 2 sq ft. section, I had some doubts. Once dry I put a second coat on the small section, but it only helped a little bit. I know it will not be a color I'm happy with. The color ended up having a gold tone to it. After seeing it, I know I want something with more brown, maybe a slate/gray tint to it.

I'm glad I only purchased enough for a small sample instead of four gallons. I feel my second choice will be much better *fingers crossed*.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I tell you what, I had to put three coats on my wall. We used Behr brand paint that was supposed to go on in one coat, but my walls just ate up the paint. Wasn't until the 3rd coat that it finally looked even and smooth. My room is 15x25 so it was a pain in the arse! But in the end we were extremely happy.

Something else that was recommended by the paint store that we are going to try is you take the same color you picked for your walls but lighten it by 25% and that's what you use on the ceiling... They say it looks fantastic since it matches perfectly being of the same shade. Haven't started it yet since I need to rest still from the three coats. :)

Hank_P

Second Unit
The third coat didn't seem to improve things to much and I went with new shade of brown last night. Now my wife was looking at other browns to do a room that you is adjacent to the home theater area. I told her all along I wanted some contrast in the two room. She got a sample last night of a color she really liked at the same time I was getting mine. Yep, it's almost exactly the same color. She is set on her color pretty much and I was a little "ify" on mine after painting a small area on the wall.

Back to get another color of brown. But I believe the color I got last night will look really good as the trim, and will look good as a contrast to "her" room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks