Ready to go! last couple of questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

After lots of research and question in this forum I finally decided what I want. I will go with the Adire Tempest and with the Parts Express #300-794 (250 watts amplifier).

I will use one of the recomended alignments, either the EBS design (340L tuned to 15.8) or the SBB4 (194L tuned to 18.8). My first question is regarding the port. Should I ask Kyle from Acoustics Visions for an specific one?

My second question is regarding Xmax, if Im using Unibox right, both alignments results in overexcursion of the driver, even with "only" 250 watts. Perhaps Im doing something wrong.

My last question is regarding the stuffing, are there pictures of the polyfill needed? I still don't know what is like or how should I buy it in here (Mexico).

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I don't get anywhere near Xmax with 250 watts. The EBS shows a max of 12mm at ~25 Hz and the SBB4 a max of 9-10mm at 30 Hz.

Pete

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Really Pete?

I get over 36mm at 23-25hz with the EBS and 250W and almost 29mm up around 30hz with the SBB4 using LspCAD.

Manuel I'd just get some 6" PVC pipe for the port.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Pete,

Which program are you using?

Dustin,

Thanks for the PVC tip. I wonder if because is not flared the port could lead to unwanted noise?

5. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

6. Manuel Delaflor

Yes! I wonder what's up! We must ASUME that the numbers of Adire alignments are correct, why our programs show something different???

By the way, I have tried to communicate by email in several ocations with Adire people. Nothing. Nada. Zero. I have sent personal messages to Dan (from Adire and poster in this forum). Same results. What's wrong?

I have being able to talk only to Kyle from Acoustic Visions. He is a man who take care of their customers.
    _________
    EDIT: Both Dan and Brian has been in contact with me several times since I posted this. It was just that I was in a hurry.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

That is very strange. Dan and David at Adire were always very prompt in responding to my emails. Sometimes took a day or two, but that is still pretty damn good. Are you sure there isn't a typo in your return address and you are sending to the right address?

For anything over 200L with a Tempest, 250W will be plenty, trust me.

As for the 6" PVC port not be flared, it's big enough that it doesn't matter. I have absolutely no unwanted noises from my 6" PVC port with my 260L Tempest tuned to around 16hz.

8. Manuel Delaflor

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Manuel,

You could also go with the 4" dual flared port instead of the 6" PVC pipe. I think it would work well in the 194L enclosure. I know it worked just fine in a 175L, 17.5Hz vented enclosure. And we've experienced no bottoming or port noise in the two subs we've built with these specs.

Brian

10. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Manuel ... I sent you a private message. I have a Tempest and a 300-794 amp for sale if your interested. Let me know. I was going to do the same thing that you are doing, but have decided to stick with the 12 I built. Don't mean to butt in on the thread, but wanted to make sure that you could get a hold of me. Later.