What's new

Ready to get Tivo, Need help (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't know what happened. The server was lagging yesterday and my question wound up getting posted three times. I guess an overeager moderator must have deleted the other two without checking if the message still appeared in here.
Basically it said I'm ready to spring for a Tivo Series 2 box. Since I don't have a phone jack nearby and I'm not entirely thrilled with hooking up a 50-foot phone cord every night, I was wondering if the USB jacks on these would allow me to hook up a wireless access point so the box could communicate through my broadband connection.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Tivo doesn't officially support a broadband connection for it's programming updates. I've heard rumors that it can be done though but it may not be worth the effort. However don't be discouraged by not having a nearby phone jack. I don't either so I picked up one of those RCA wireless phone jacks and it has worked like a champ. I've had my tivo for about 2 years now and haven't had any problems. Just be sure to get a wireless jack that supports 56k speeds though. The lower speed ones can't handle the tivo updates.

Jeff

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Not pertaining at all to the material of the post, but it is interesting that although the original post is not here anymore, it does show up as the Internet Explorer tooltip when placing the mouse on the Thread title while viewing the list of threads in this forum.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
Series 2 standalone TiVos do support making daily calls over broadband connections through their USB ports. However, the DirecTiVo Series 2 receivers do not as of right now. As mentioned earlier in this thread, check out TiVo Community for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks