What's new

Ready to crank Tempest up..... (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
How do I plug my LFE into the plate amp??????????????

There is Line in/out RCA plugs that my LFE would plug right into & (2) High level in L/R with some kind of plug that
unscrews but cant see how you would get a wire onto it &
obviously is NOT RCA....

Wish I had some instructions from CSS with this amp!!!

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
How do I plug my LFE into the plate amp??????????????

There is Line in/out RCA plugs that my LFE would plug right into & (2) High level in L/R with some kind of plug that
unscrews but cant see how you would get a wire onto it &
obviously is NOT RCA....

Wish I had some instructions from CSS with this amp!!!

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I plugged LFE into "L" channel input & got "some" output.

Sounds way less & HORRIBLE compared to STF-2.

Admittedly, nothing is tweaked & it is in middle of room, but......

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I plugged LFE into "L" channel input & got "some" output.

Sounds way less & HORRIBLE compared to STF-2.

Admittedly, nothing is tweaked & it is in middle of room, but......

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Well....I stand corrected......moved closer to corner
& is on side pointed towards wall (about 18" from).

Irene was pretty impressive...... :emoji_thumbsup:

Definetly will need to tweak, but think i will like it. :D

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Well....I stand corrected......moved closer to corner
& is on side pointed towards wall (about 18" from).

Irene was pretty impressive...... :emoji_thumbsup:

Definetly will need to tweak, but think i will like it. :D

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
If I get a "splitter" to go to "L & R" at same time,
does it make a difference than just going to "L" or "R"
alone?

Richard_M

Second Unit
Hey Cam...

Do you feel like you are talking to yourself here :D

Left channel is the normal mono in.

Left & Right channel are usually summed so you end up with about 6dB of gain on the preamp, which may or may not be suitable depending on the amp. If the auto on/off function is not working well then connecting both can help cure this.

Congratulations on the new sub, I am glad you are happy with it.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Yep, Richard pretty much summed it up (pun intended). :) There should be no sound quality difference using the splitter, just that you won't have to turn your preamp/receiver sub level control up as far to get the same output. It is quite surprising sometimes just how large a change is made by putting the subwoofer in the corner. My subwoofer similarly sounded pretty anemic in the center of the room. Enjoy the new sub!

Aaron Gilbert

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
LMAO @ Richard....

Thanks guys.....

I unwrapped a copy of "Soldier" (with Kurt Russel). I bought a while back in a Wal-Mart bargin bin, I think.

Its an old movie, Ive seen it before, but never on more than regular TV.

If you do not have a copy, or have not played it on your
system, it is a DEFINITE work out for the sub!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh yeah.....if the sub goes "woomp-woomp" does that mean it is getting close to the limits...?

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Woomp-woomp? Are there any helicopters in that movie (been too long since I've seen it)? :) Having not heard a Tempest close to the limits, I can't say for sure. However, that's not a typical sound I associate with any woofer being close to it's limits. Most typically, this is what you start hearing as you get closer and closer to the woofer limits:

1. You start hearing compression in the sound. In other words, you keep turning it up, and the volume it doesn't increase as much as it should, doesn't sound dynamic anymore, because there is less difference between the average and peak output.

2. You start hearing distortion from the woofer. This can be all kinds of noises, though I don't know about that woomp-woomp one. Usually it's just best characterized as the tone becoming impure (signal generator or test tone CD is the best way to audibly illustrate).

3. You hear serious mechanical noises from the woofer. It can be from a mild flapping noise to motorboat type sounds (usually just with continuous tones), and finally, you will hear a loud POP if the voice coil goes beyond the limits of it's travel and contacts the back plate. If you do this with a continuous tone you may experience continous popping, which no woofer will survive for long (a few pops here and there, while bad, probably won't kill a woofer).

4. Another type which you probably won't experience except in lesser woofers, is a burning smell associated with heating of the voice coil. It takes a LOT of continuous power to do this, as in a few hundred watts sustained for minutes, something you'd almost never get in music or a movie. This is bad, but probably also won't kill a woofer as long as you are within the electrical power rating of the driver.

Thus ends today's lesson in woofer distortion. :)

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks