What's new

ready for stage building, so......... (1 Viewer)

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
what's the consensus?
do I, or do I not attach to rear and side walls?
it will be filled with sand
it will be glued to the concrete floor due to having in floor
thanks,
Ed

BrianKR

Second Unit
I did not attach my stage to the walls.
Mine is built in 3 sections. The left and right section are filled with sand for my sub(s) and the middle with loose insulation. They are only connected by carpet.;)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I would think it would be better to attach to the walls to avoid any gaps that will be hard to clean.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian
Nice Room
the last sentence in my post should read:
"....due to having infloor heat"

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eddie

I'm just finishing up my stage, and I intend to mount it firmly to the floor with concrete nails. First I'll put down a sheet of heavy plastic or foam as a vapour barrier.

I considered using sand to kill the boominess with the sub mounted on top, but I hate the idea of drying lots of sand over several days, plus the idea of pailing it downstairs. I'll use Roxul insulation, and maybe cram it in tightly.

Also, I will not attach it to the side and rear walls, (that might transmit vibration to the walls, which I'd like to avoid) but rest it on the floor about 1/4" away from any walls. Then I'll rest the drywall, mounted on resilient channel, on top of the stage (actually on top of a foam sill gasket, which is on the stage). The small gaps between the sides and rear of my stage will first be filled with some kind of insulation to keep spiders etc from taking up residence (hopefully).

I'll test the sound of the sub first, before I add the drywall. I want to be sure that the boominess is not a problem, but if it is, then I'll probably bite the bullet and use sand in the areas of the stage that hold the subwoofer. Hope that helps.
Tom.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
You can buy "play sand" that is precleaned and dried. It's a little more pricey but not terribly so.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
The sheetrock is up around the stage area, and I'll be cutting lumber this weekend. I decided to go ahead and attach the stage to walls. Here's my reasoning, so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have a proscenium. It will be attached to the stage, the side walls and the ceiling. So if that is attached to everything, what's the difference if the stage is attached to walls also? It seems one way or another sound may transmit thru walls, floor and/or ceiling. Or am I, in a sense, doubling the factor for sound transmission? And another thought: I've never read this anywhere but maybe I should float the proscenium above the stage and only attach to side walls and ceiling and flexible caulk to stage. I knew this whole project wouldn't be that easy, but never thought it would be this hard in deciding.
Everything else will seem like a cake walk to this.
Thanks,
Ed

Chad Anson

Second Unit
If your walls and ceiling are not floating, don't bother floating the proscenium. I don't think it'll make much difference if you attach the stage to the walls, either.

For what it's worth, I floated my walls and ceiling and attach the stage and proscenium to them.

There are plenty of other things to worry about during construction, don't sweat the small stuff.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks