ready for hdtv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlClarkJr, Oct 29, 2002.

1. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, here in Tallahassee we're getting ready to get hdtv over the air broadcast. What is a good reasonibly price hdtv receiver,(not a dss system)just regular ota also does anybody use an indoor antennae? thanks for the help.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The prices for OTA only and some of the DirecTV/OTA receivers are very close. I picked up an open box Hughes E86 for $419+tax about a month ago.

I use a $5 Radio Shack double bow tie antenna sitting on top of my TV. It's angled in the general direction of the towers which are about 20 miles away. When I get some free time, it's going in the attic to keep the wife happy.

-Robert

3. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Robert, does the bow tie antenae really pick up hdtv that well?

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The Radio Shack double bow tie antenna works very well for me. I pick up channels from Sacramento which is over 50 miles away from me and they look great. I think that it's the best indoor antenna you'll find and it's very cheap. I had to order mine online because none of my local RS stores carried it.

5. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

The bowtie doesn't work for me, because it's too directional. But I live less than three miles from the main broadcast tower. The bowtie is known to work very well for people from fairly far away (10-40 miles.) If you're as close as I am, I would look elsewehre. If you're further away, you will likely need something larger or outdoor.
    I assume in FL you're not going to have to worry much about hills or mountains being in the way. [​IMG]