Ready for an external amp...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Parr, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Mike Parr

Mike Parr Auditioning

I have recently upgraded my main speakers to Paradigm Studio 100 v3. After installing these I have come to the realization that I need some additional power to run them at the levels that I like to listen. I am in the final phase of the decision to purchase a multi-channel amp for my system.

My final choices are:
    Rotel - RMB-1095 5x200w (local)
    ATI - AT2505 5x250w (internet)

Since I can't audition the ATI amp I really need a review of these amps from someone that either owns one or has auditioned them. The ATI is $420 cheaper and has a little more output. I have not auditioned the Rotel yet but I believe that I would be satisfied with it if I were to buy this one; of course I will audition it first. I will be using a Marantz SR-6300 as the pre-pro as I like this set up for now. I just feel that I need more power.

2. Christian M

Christian M Agent

I had the chance to listen to a rotel/paradigm reference combo a couple of times...wow [​IMG]

There is probably better and maybe better for less but from what i heard, it was pretty damn nice. Same amp as you have listed only the speakers were the 60's.

ROTEL is my vote

Have fun

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Don't base your decision on the extra 50 wpc. That is actually very little difference. Your exact speakers (assuming a 10 foot-away listening position) gets you to 114.3db at 200wpc and 115.3db wpc at 250 wpc. Just for a point of reference, 100 wpc still gets you to 111.3db, and one (yes one) wpc gets you to 91.3db which is pretty darned loud. All this assumes that you DON'T have a powered sub. If you do, then it will take even more strain away from the amp since the lower frequencies are the most demanding by far.

You would be more than fine (power-wise) with either choice. Ideally, you should audition, but if you can't with the ATI, keep looking for unbiased reviews (ie. audioreview.com is pretty useless).

Chris

4. Mike Parr

Mike Parr Auditioning

Does anyone know for sure if ATI makes the amps for Outlaw?

5. ChuckEanes

ChuckEanes Auditioning

I believe they do make amps for Outlaw. I own a 2505 and it is a very strong amp, does not get hot and really the thing I bought it for is the 7 year warranty. Either will be a decent amp but for $1400 I paid for the ATI, its going to be very hard to top for the money unless you buy used.

Later