What's new

Ready for a new display.......... What are you using? (1 Viewer)

Jason J G

Agent
I am going to upgrade from my old 36" JVC HDTV to a 55-70+" LCD rear projection (Maybe an LCD if less than 55", probably not plasma). Just want to know what all of you are using, or recomend.

My father has a 60" Sony SXRD, it is beautiful. There is very little I don't like about it, I would just like to see if there is anything in that price point that is "better". I do know that it's a matter of taste, just need a starting point for units to consider.

I am using a Yamaha RX-V4600 reciever, a Yamaha DVD-S2500 DVD player, and Definitive Technology speakers. I am quite happy with the size and quality of the soundstage, I just need matching video. The viewing position is 11 feet from the screen, or about 13 feet to the wall.

I REALLY like JVC video products, but, other than my last CRT television, and camcorder, I have little experience with them. I looked at a couple of Toshiba's, they were nice, and Sony SXRD.

Opinions please?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jason,

Here's a case where you might be able to have your cake and eat it too! Since you are a JVC fan and also love the look of LCoS (Sony calls it "SXRD" and JVC calls it "D-ILA") you might want to take a look at JVC's new "True 1080p" line (click HERE to see more).

Now that both the Sonys and the JVC LCoS RPMs have native 1080p input I recommend them both. The pictures I saw at CEDIA were excellent.

Jason J G

Agent
Has anyone purchsed the new Samsung 71" DLP Model HL-S7178W???

I just got back from Best Buy to take a look at whats out there, that unit was amazing!!! It might even exceed Sony's SXRD line, just my opinion. I've never purchased any video or audio equipent from Samsung before, so I'm curious about long term in home performance.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
RAF

Those 70 inch JVCs look really sweet! I am thinking the RS 232 port is so you can use it with your computer.

Thanks for the link :)

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
I've narrowed down my choices to one of the 70" JVC D-ILA sets, or the Samsung HL-S7178W. I've seen the Samsung at Best Buy and Tweeter, and I think it looks really good. I just haven't been able to find one of the JVC's locally to check out.

Jason J G

Agent
Kevin, You've beaten me to the post, I cannot find an JVC rear projection anywhere to preview. Unless the JVC is so far beyond what I've seen, It's between the 70" Sony SXRD, or the 71" Samsung, the Toshiba isn't in the running.

I just left Best-Buy again, and it will take a little more comparison time to decide, I have no experiance with Samsung, that's the biggest draw back. The Sony costs a little more, but, I know I like it. I do like the full black surround of the Samsung, and the menus are easy to navagate. The picture and movement are so close, but, is it that the store lighting, and horrible setup of the display, make them seem that way?

Does anyone out there have the 71" Samsung 1080p?

Jason J G

Agent
Alright, aparently Costco sells JVC 70" 1080p rear projection units. Whether you are able to preview them or not I don't know.

Does anyone else purchase equipment from Costco?

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL

Make sure to keep the box, packing materials, manuals and receipt. Then you can return it at any time, even when a newer model is introduced.

My suggestion is well under your size requirements, but I just purchased a Sony 46" XBR2 LCD. They also just introduced a 52" version.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, if you go to avsforum.com there are owner's threads for the new JVC's and Samsung's in the RPTV forum. They're both, like, 18+ pages long, but you'll get a lot of feedback from owners.

Jason J G

Agent
I have ordered a Samsung 71" DLP 1080p unit. There are none in stock available in less time than at least week.

It was for a few reasons, the 70" Sony SXRD delivery time was MUCH longer than the Samung. The Samsung has great display capabilities, as does the Sony, but, I don't feel the difference between the Sony and Samsung are all that noticable, especially not at a 2K premium difference. I foud that the Samsung also did a very good job of transferring the data to the screen with almost no noticable delay or pixelation durring fast moving action sceens. The only unit I had looked at other than these two is the Toshiba 1080p, and I don't feel that it even come close in comparision of display characteristics (Just my opinion, sorry if I offend any Toshiba die hards).

What I would like to know now, is ho many people run HDMI from the DVD player through the reciever to the display - VIDEO ONLY, and is there much difference between running HDMI straight to the display from the DVD player?

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator

Ditto as above
JVC 70Fh97 and 70FH96 series areally noce nice choices as well as the Samsung 61/71 H-LS series

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks