Reading the Movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fletch, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Fletch

Fletch Agent

Here is something my wife and I found interesting.After renting Amalie the other night,we thought it was good enough to recommend to a few friends.The next day at work they complained that they had to read the subtitles.Now,how many people out there in HTFland have heard someone complain about that?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Ugh, I know several people like that too. It annoys me to no end because these are intelligent folks who I know have no problem readings. Seems, though, that when it comes to movies they don't want any words. I just brush them off like I do all the P&S folks. I am an anime junkie who insists on watching it in it's original language and hates dubs, so I have honeslty gotten so used to reading subtitles I don't even notice anymore.

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

My mom complained, but watched Rashomon anyway.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm not sure if I've encountered anyone like that before...

Does anyone get so used to watching subtitles that it's like they're not even there and the characters are actually speaking English (or whatever language the subtitles are in)? I think that's only happened to me with one movie (Shall We Dance?), but nonetheless...

5. andrew markworthy

I can think of a lot of folks like that, and not all of them are dumb. Indeed, I have a friend (a university reader) staying with us at the moment who's borderline dyslexic and has an appalling time with subtitles.

I personally have no problems with subtitles. If anything, I get nostalgic about them. When I was a student I used to practically live in the local art house cinema with its seemingly endless parade of foreign movies, all subtitled. I occasionally catch myself thinking 'I really should be working on that essay' whilst watching them.

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Whenever I watch anime features filled with Japanese mysticism (both real and imagined), I can't even begin to listen to it in English! Even when a French language track is available (I find movies translate better to French than to English), I still can't listen to a movie such as "Mononoke Hime" without cringing! It's like a badly made puzzle. It just doesn't fit!

I know a couple of people who might object to subtitles. However, most of the people I know don't object to subtitles in principle and can easily live with them. For me, subtitles are only a problem during events such as the Montreal World Film Festival where everything is subtitled so that at least both French and English language versions are available on the screen. Unilingual people may not realize this, but listening to a movie in one language and reading it in another (both of which you understand) can make your brain do a 180° turn on its stem.

7. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Yeah, I know people that complain about having to read subtitles. If I mention a foreign language film where reading them is required, they usually just say "No thanks". My wife, for example. She likes love story movies just about as much as anyone, but she would not watch Amelie. I on the other hand, pretty much hate "corny love movies". Not that Amelie was one(well, actually it was) but I enjoyed it a lot. Watched it about 8 times. She also would not watch a non English version of "Life is Beautiful". She's missed at least 2 excellent film because of this. They are just 2 great movies !!!

As far as subtitles on "regular/nonforiegn" movies, I use them too but not on the first viewing or if someone else that doesn't like them is watching with me. I, for one, can not read the subs and follow the movie closely. I would miss way to much. Thats why I use the subs after a regular viewing. When the movie starts, I ask, "Subtitles or no subtitles?". We enjoy finding and noting discrepancies. It is alway amazing how often they say something different than what I thought they said. As an added plus, they can be a decent way to bone up on your 2nd language skills too.

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I have no problem at all reading Das Boot while I watch it in German 5.1. If a person likes the movie, it really doesn't matter about subtitles.

9. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Subtitles, dubbing and pan and scan are all alterations to a movie that detract from it. The directors certainly didn't intend for you to be reading something at the bottom of the screen, and I've seen films where the subtitles obscured parts of the movie, blocking important images. Likewise some movies have the dialog going so quickly that you just can't keep up with subtitles, or the subtitles are not proper translations of what is said.

However until the day comes when we can download a language instantly, subtitles are a necessary evil if we are to appreciate foreign language films. However I for one would prefer a perfect dub to reading subtitles so I can watch the film, but such are very hard to come by.

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well I don't mind at all reading subtitles for my Hong Kong action favorites or 'Das Boot', but with anime I can enjoy both subtitles and dubbed equally. I've watched 'Akira' dubbed and it was still effective (especially the new dub), but I've been watching it in its original language for years so I prefer it subtitled.

But I also watch some of my English speaking films with English subtitles because my German girl Sandra prefers them on, it helps her a lot with learning English and spelling. So I got used to it.

11. Fletch

Fletch Agent

You folks make me feel a lot better about it. We have quite a few friends that will not rent a movie unless it is dubbed. No subtitles for them.Pity what they are missing.

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

You know, I am not against a dub per se because just as it is not the "original" version neither is one with printing all over it which you must glance down at as you watch the film.
    But since almost all dubs are done horribly with terrible acting the subtitle approach comes much closer to giving you a native language experience.
    Das Boot is a case of a strong dub however, done mostly (or totally) by the original actors.
    I don't need the lips moving correctly, I need the same great acting. If that can be done (along with a solid translation) then I think a dub is a very effective tool for bringing a film to a foreign language.
    My point being that there is nothing inherently "better" about watching with subtitles, but sometimes I think it is presented that way. It is tied in with the OAR fight, but they aren't the same thing. Subtitles ARE NOT how people who speak the film's native language saw the film either. I think films should always have the native language as a track on the DVD, but any technique that can bring film viewing experience close to what a native language speaker had when watching the film is fine by me.
    Of course the subtitle approach is very easy to adapt to and anyone who skips a film for this reason is clearly missing many great films for no good reason. But subtitle translations can be just as bad as a bad dub. I have some imports of Kurosawa films that are translated so poorly that its worse than reading pigeon English or something. In that case, if those DVDs had dubs that were translated better (they don't of course) and acted moderately well I would always watch the dub instead.
    In the end it would just be better if I could understand all the other languages. I guess I need to step it up. [​IMG]

13. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor