What's new

Read the FAQ now I'm dizzy (1 Viewer)

Todd~P

Auditioning
I read the FAQ and WOW that's alot of info....I am looking for a basic setup...I've got a 32 inch toshiba, a toshiba dvd player(connected via s-video), a toshiba vcr, playstation 2, XBOX, Nintendo Game Cube. I watch ALOT of movies so I am pretty sure I am looking at 5 speakers.

Right now the game consoles are connected to what seems like a video/audio extender..basically I can plug all the game consoles into it and press a button on the front to choose which one I want to play. I then have extender plugged into Video 2.

The DVD player is connected via s-video and the I go to video 1 to watch a dvd.

I have about 400 to spend on a reciever and around the same if not a little cheaper to spend on speakers...

All suggestions are much apperciated.

Todd

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
I think one of the most recommended setups in this price range and also very well reviewed is the Onkyo HTIB. Many forum members ordered the refurbished equipment also from Onkyo and like it very much and reported no problems. You can get them with or without a DVD player. I'm pretty sure that Circuit City sells these also so you can go there and listen to it first. Heres a link... http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...60S&type=9&p=f

Or you could pick out a different brand receiver and then just get the Onkyo speaker package like this... http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...500&type=8&p=i

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
Great recommendation Bill. I work at Circuit city and purchased the Onkyo HTS650 surround sound system as my frist system. It is a great starter system. It is our best seller in the store and it got great reviews. Best system for the price, I recommend it all the time to customers. It's price tag is about $500, but usually runs on sale at $450. But it is oop right now, meaning we are no longer carrying it and when a store sells out we don't get anymore. So if you are interested check it out quick before they sell out. Otherwise I have seen people selling this same system on ebay too. It's a nice 100-watt receiver with composite and s-video switching so you can get rid of your extra switcher. it's a 5.1 channel receiver and speakers are bookshelf sized. if you want a nice upgrade and can spend a little more, you can get the same onkyo speakers by themselves without the receiver which run roughly $299. then buy the new onkyo reciever TXSR501. it's the new model that adds 6.1 capability for the same price as last year's TXSR500 which is only 5.1. the receiver is $299 so total comes out to about $600. or another good choice is the Harman Kardon AVR125 receiver that runs $399 and harman kardon HKTS 6 speakers/sub system that runs $399. if you want check out our web site, www.circuitcity.com or www.onkyousa.com or www.harmankardon.com to check out if you would like any of these product.

Todd~P

Auditioning
Bill:

I was looking at the onkyo TXSR501 and noticed it does not have THX capabilities...Are there alot of movies coming out THX or are most of them staying Dolby Digital? Apperciate the excellent recommendations.

Todd

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
sorry i'm not bill but i figured i'd explain anyways.

yes there are several movies that are "thx certified". But that is not a different kind of surround sound. Any receiver including the TXSR501 carries at least dolby digital, and DTS. the 6.1 kind of surround sound can be found on movies like Gladiator and Blade 2 and that's called Dolby Digital EX, and DTS ES. THX is only a set of standard George Lucas created because he was unhappy with the video and sound quality of movie theaters. So now you can buy THX certified equipment. But for what you want to spend that's not gonna happen. Any movie that is "THX" is actually dolby digital but the THX means there is a quarenteed sound quality offered on the disc. the only way to technically utilize THX is to have all your equipment THX. meaning your receiver, speakers, speaker wire, connector cables and dvd player all need to have the THX logo on it. I own Onkyo's THX receiver and it retails at $999. That's pretty much what you'll pay for a THX receiver. Then when you watch a movie that is in THX, you can hit the THX button and it makes the sound quality better. There is one inexpensive THX receiver Kenwood makes for like $500 which is unheard of for the price, but I should warn you against it. In THX mode it sounds great, but everything else sounds like junk. A good feature to look for is a receiver's THD% (total harmonic distortion). It's basically a distortion rating, anything under .1 is good. the kenwood is .7 which is massive bad sound. So if you want THX you'll be spending a lot.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
THX is no more than a gimmick for companys to charge more for a given piece of equipment etc. Having all THX is like having a Lexus, its still a Toyota just has a few little upgrades and better cosmetics. I've worked as a projectionist and also have experiend many THX home theatres and the difference is negliable at best.

As was already stated THX works down to simply being a set of standards for equipment etc though for home it only covers audio and not video.

The only other thing THX does in home applications is add "enhanced equalization" to the reciever. I for 1 want the signal to be as untouched as possible as do many others that I know.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks