What's new

Read Only Files? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I notice that if I burn files like jpgs to a CD-RW, and then copy those files from the cd to another computer, they become "read-only" files, and if I want to move one to another directory, or rename or resize it, I get challenged each time as to whether I want to do that. I am able to do it, but I have to click by the warning challenges. It's a bit of a nuisance.

Is there any way of turning this off "en masse" when files are dumped from a data storage cd onto a computer?

PS Does this situation stem from files on CD's being assumed to be important program files?

Not an important question, but a curious thing :)

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
After you copy the files back to your HD select them all and right click. You will get a menue and the last option will be properties. Click on that and you will get a window with information about your selected files. There will be some check boxes. Uncheck read only.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Which OS are you using? The OS "knows" that CDs are in fact read-only (with CD-RW, you actually erase the whole thing and write it again), so it always considers files on CDs as such, even though CDs don't necessarily support the same file attributes as a hard drive. When the OS copies the file, it may clear the attribute. Sounds like you may be using Win9x, which does not.

If they're all in one folder, you can do a Select All, then open the Properties dialog and uncheck the Read-only box. If you copy a tree of folders, you can open a Command Prompt, go to the top of that tree and use the command:

attrib -r /s

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks