Read on and help! at my wits end on what tv to get!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gary_C, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Gary_C

Gary_C Auditioning

Just got a new house and of course like any full-blooded male I want a new tv to go with it.
    Here are the details:
    The TV will be located in the family room with lots of light. Light will be a little controllable because I've installed wooden blinds. The TV will be 8 feet from the viewing area. Budget: I can probably convince my wife to go up as 3K but that's pushing it.
    Here are our viewing habits:
    We watch a lot of OTA programming. I haven't installed cable or satellite yet except for the one that beams exclusive foreign(asian) channels to us. I have no plans of getting HD as of yet but will probably change my mind as soon as I get my HD-Ready TV. I, of course, also watch DVDs but not until my kid goes to bed so not as frequent as I want.
    My main concerns:
    The TV needs to be at least 40" (although i might settle for a 34-36" Widescreen depending on other mitigating factors). It needs to be HD-Ready. I would love to get widescreen but a review on the Sony 40XBR800 says that an anamorphic DVD converts the 40" to a 37" widescreen. Is this correct? If this is the case then I'm going for the 4:3.
    I still don't know if I'm going to get a direct-view or a projection or a plasma (only because I've seen a daewoo DP-42SM in Bestbuy selling for 2499 yesterday). I think I was settled on the direct-view because of our viewing habits (knowing that standard OTA and even cable don't look great on a projection) but I've heard of projection tvs upconverting signals (like the Toshiba 42HDX82). Now I'm wondering if I've dismissed RPTVs too quickly. Does this upconversion really make the RPTVs a decent alternative to tubes when it comes to standard OTA/cable signals? If it does, what brands do it best, to narrow down my search?

PLEASE HELP.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It means that when the Sony KV-40XBR800 is in its 16:9 mode, the resulting 16:9 picture area measures 37 inches diagonally (making it larger than all but one native 16:9 direct-view set, the Loewe Aconda). It's a very good set.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, if you don't mind the price difference and were thinking along that size range anyway, the Sony 40" is probably the way to go.

I'd forget about plasmas since they don't do HD resolution at your price range.

And if you're spending the $$$ for the Sony 40", you might as well spend the $350-400 on an OTA HD receiver since that's what you watch mostly anyway.

_Man_

4. Gary_C

Gary_C Auditioning

I just saw the Loewe Aconda and it blew me away!!!
    Can't believe it! It was side by side with a Sharpvision Plasma and it totally stepped on the plasma.
    It was showing a DVD of LOTR and me and my friend felt as if we are seeing the DVD for the very first time. There was so much detail and TEXTURE in the mines of Moria scenes. My friend's description was it looked as though the characters were embossed on a very clear background. The people really stood out. You can totally picture and pick out the different garments the characters are wearing.

Oh man, what an eye opener. I hope I can convince the mrs.