What's new

"Read" links not registering as such (1 Viewer)

Margo

Agent
Used to be when I read a message that the link would turn a different color than the unread links. Now... they revert back to being the unread color by some mysterious criteria. It was easier to follow threads that interested me by quickly looking down the list at the different colors and determining if they were near the top and needed to be read. I'm using Netscape 4.61 with Win98. Thanks for your time.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Margo:

The authors of this script decided to base new and read/unread messages on your last visit time. So....you have to log off the board and get back on to see new posts.

All the vBulletin software sites run this way.

Parker

Margo

Agent
Parker,

Thank-you for your reply. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the new messages not appearing unless you log off and back in. I'm talking about the color of the links when you've read the message topic. For example, if I haven't read the message topic titled:

"Read" links not registering as such

in Netscape I have it set up to be colored blue. Once I click on those messages from the Forum feedback page, read them and go "back" I have:

"Read" links not registering as such

set up to be red. Red means that I've read that topic and that I'm interested in it. After that I've always been able to look down the Forum feedback page and see which messages are red (i.e., ones I've read before and I'm interested in) and see if there have been any new messages added to the topic by the latest time stamp. Now I'm finding that the links no longer remain red -- they turn back to blue even when I haven't logged off and even if they haven't gotten any new replies. For me, it's rather difficult to keep up with threads I'm interested in because I now have to read all the message topics again (as they are all blue) -- I can't use the red colored links to help me keep track. The old program you used just worked different. I'm not sure that this program does this on purpose or not, but it certainly doesn't seem to work the way that the rest of the internet does when it comes to showing read vs. unread links. If you've answered this in your previous reply I apologize.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Margo:

That's weird because for me the links DO turn red after I have read a thread vs. black for unread threads. I am not sure why your browser isn't showing them as such.

Parker

Margo

Agent
Ah well... today, for the first time, they are staying/showing as red for me as well. Go figure... I just hope that they continue to stay that way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks