What's new

Reaction to Numerous Paramount Annoucements! (1 Viewer)

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! That's a lot of exciting and interesting news!

8/17/04Laverne & Shirley: Season 1TelevisionTV-G
8/17/04Happy Days: Season 1TelevisionTV-G

These two are especially ones I'm looking forward to. Great to hear.

8/31/04I Love Lucy: Season 2TelevisionTV-G

Why the delay? Oh, well. It'll still be good.

9/7/04Mork & Mindy: Season 1TelevisionTV-G

I managed to catch the first 3 eps in syndication and liked it.

9/14/047th Heaven: Season 1TelevisionTV-G

Potential blind buy, although I've seen 1 or 2 episodes and thought they were kind of cute.

9/21/04Frasier: The Final SeasonTelevisionTV-PG

Wait a minute? Season 11 before season 4? What does this mean for the rest of the seasons of Frasier? Hmm...

10/12/04Hogan's Heroes: Season 1TelevisionTV-G
10/12/04The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1TelevisionTV-G

The best for last! Awesome shows!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
The only one out of that list that I would really like to buy is "Mork and Mindy". That show is hilarious!!! But I'm really happy for you TAGS and ILL fans.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
My honest reaction is negative.

We can debate the artistic merits of "Mork and Mindy" or "Laverne and Shirley" as opposed to, say, "The Andy Griffith Show." Personally, I like 'em all.

Obviously, the main appeal of TV-on_DVD should be the episodes themselves. But Image has set the bar with their excellent "Dick Van Dyke" season sets. Commentaries, crossover episodes, rare footage, etc.

Looking at that herculean release calendar, it appears to me that Paramount has decided to take a different tack with its TV-on-DVD releases: namely, "get em' out get 'em out get 'em out." Make hay while the sun is shining.

Their releases of "Cheers" and "Frasier" didn't thrill me; "I Love Lucy" has been better but not much.

I predict that no true TV fan will be particularly pleased with any of these upcoming releases. God, I hate to say that.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe Don Knotts, Ron Howard, Judd Hirsch and a galaxy of stars are parading through the Branson Gate to record commentaries...

Maybe they'll include Laverne and Shirley's origin on "Happy Days" as part of the "L&S" set.

Maybe they'll include reunion specials which were produced for "HD," "L&S," "Taxi," and "TAGS".

But I'm sorta doubting it.

Doc

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would'nt expect any extras on these sets. Paramount is definately following Fox's MASH lead in releasing TV product, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Paramounts TV product transfers are generally good, although some of the Trek series was middling. Out of the announcements I'd say Hogan's Heroes and maybe Andy Griffith. I hope Hogan is OAR and not those cropped eps that ran on HDNet a few months back

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am happy for the announcements. But, where is Mission Impossible and Wild Wild West???

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Todd, we've always said MI will be in '05, to coincide with the 3rd film. As for WWW, I dunno. I'm guessing '05 as well, if ever.

Larry W

Agent
He also left LateLine off the list. It comes out on 8/17. I hope they include all the introductions Al Franken made when it was shown on Showtime.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Laverne and Shirley and I Love Lucy are the only HAVE TO titles of these TV shows for me.

Laverne and Shirley...Paramount has a solid commitment out of me for all seven seasons of this show. Would be nice if they tossed the two reunion specials in there somewhere as well.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I figured as much with MI. You know I wonder if we ever will get JAG and/or the Sentinel? These were the 2 shows that Martin asked if people wanted in a HTF poll.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, my reaction is Paramount has been very busy.

Frasier, and TAGS are the priority for me, with Happy Days, Taxi and Mork and Mindy also stuff I really want.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm definitely getting the Taxi and Mork & Mindy sets.

I really hope they do Andy Griffith the best that they can because everyone who was on that show is getting old and there is only one or two chances to get the season sets right.

As someone who owns the first two sets of Frasier, I have no problem with how they have been handled.

Paul

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
They forgot 2 of best Paramount series of alltime, Get Smart and the Odd Couple! I'll probably be getting season 1 of Happy Days, the only season worth owning.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll be snatching up The Andy Griffith Show, Hogan's Heroes, and I Love Lucy Season 2! I will probably purchase Happy Days as well. The others - nah.

As for Wild, Wild West, count me in on wanting that set too.

And of course, the huge series... the one that MUST be released from Paramount... the one that Mr. Blythe told me personally over the phone was too good a show not to be released eventually... The Fugitive - has to be close at this point (fingers crossed as I type that, and that's not easy)!!!

Gary "I agree that with TAGS especially, Paramount needs to get some commentaries now before Andy, Don, and other cast members are no longer with us" O.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
THE FUGITIVE, GET SMART, and THE INVADERS, to name a few, are still technically tied up in the old Republic Pictures deal with the former Artisan, so we won't see those until summer of '05 at the earliest, I suspect.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Chuck, there were 8 seasons of L&S. Are you leaving out the final season which should have been called "Laverne & No One"?

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
What are the correct SRP of the Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley sets?

DVD Empire says its around $50 and DVD Planet says around $40.

$40 would seem to be more correct being the L & S set contains only 15 episodes on 3 discs. $50 is a little too high.

As for me, the sets I am interested in are
Laverne & Shirley
Mork & Mindy
Hogan's Heroes

Happy Days would be a consdieration, only if they offered a set with just episodes that featured Laverne & Shirley.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks