What's new

Re-wiring for digital cable ? (1 Viewer)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
Newbie question:
I need to re-wire about 70 feet of coaxial cable from one end of my house (where the Adelphia cable is entering my home) to the other end of my basement, where my 65" prtv is.
Is there a particular type (rg-6 I assume?) to buy, and would I need a signal booster?.
Also, how much signal, if any, do you lose if the original cable lead (entering my home) is cut, reconnected to better cable with a Ftype coupler, but never split?

thanks!

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I've used Belden 1694a for this purpose with great results. Similar length in fact. Noticeable improvement in image quality was obtained.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Just going through a barrel-connector should result in little-to-no signal loss. Just make sure to install new "F" connectors (the cable guys will do this for you), and TIGHTEN the connectors down with a wrench/pliers. (The number one cause of poor video quality & service calls is loose connectors).

Since your cable company typically installs digital service and cable-modems, they will come out with 2.2 Ghz rated coax and connectors and the tools to do a good installation. Call them and see if they will swing buy with the 60' hunk of coax that they can leave you so you can run the coax yourself. (This is acutally quite cheap for them to do - it's a lot less than a service call).

Or look in the yellow pages for "Electronics" or "Telecom" and find a local distributor who will sell you Belden RG6 coax by the foot.

Signal Amplifiers: Wait until you get everything hooked up to see if you have a weak signal problem. Try to make the splice to the new coax near a electrical outlet so you can add an amplifier in later if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks