What's new

Re: the Fox 75-disc Centennial collection & CAVALCADE (1 Viewer)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I was in my local Costco tonight, and they have it out already. I haven't seen anything quite this hefty since the days of Laserdisc. No real clue at all what version of Star Wars is inside though. I like the poster art of Vader and Marylin Monroe on the sides.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by SilverWook

I was in my local Costco tonight, and they have it out already. I haven't seen anything quite this hefty since the days of Laserdisc. No real clue at all what version of Star Wars is inside though. I like the poster art of Vader and Marylin Monroe on the sides.

How much was it, if I may ask?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I think it was just under $300. I was a little overwhelmed by all the new movies and books at the time.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Has anybody bought the whole behemoth yet? Still like to know what version of Star Wars is included...

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by SilverWook

Has anybody bought the whole behemoth yet? Still like to know what version of Star Wars is included...

Sorry, not yet. I know I talked tough, but the price panicked me.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
No problem, Fritz! The price scares me too.

All the Amazon "reviews" I've seen so far are from people who haven't even bought the darn thing! Talk about a waste of time.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
With Wings landing victoriously on DVD and Blu-ray (coinciding with the perfect timing of Paramount's 100th anniversary and the latest Best Picture frontrunner The Artist, which also happens to be a silent film, creating the prospect of "genre bookends" among the winners), I am unpleasantly reminded that the only Best Picture in history not available as a stand-alone release is Cavalcade. I think it's been long enough with that Fox Studios monster box set and its hefty price tag. Have there been any further discussions about if and when Cavalcade might be released as a stand-alone disc? The timing is good, especially with:
  • the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic this year, which plays nicely into the plot of Cavalcade.
  • the resurgence and new success of the Upstairs, Downstairs series. The old TV show has recently received a stellar restoration and DVD release, and a new series went into production just last year.
  • the huge success of Downton Abbey, yet another basic premise heavily influenced by Cavalcade.
I do believe its time has come. This is the perfect year for it from a marketing standpoint. Also, did anyone actually purchase that monster set? If so, how is the quality of Cavalcade? I hope it was worth the price and the trouble to get it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I've heard nothing so far. At this point, I'm just hoping the transfer used in that collection ends up as a single someplace overseas, like how Tobacco Road ended up in Germany.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Fox insists on doing this time ang again. The only way you could get SUNRISE (which should have won Best Pcture) was in a box set. While that set was at least affordable , the sets that have CAVALCADE and my persoanl favorite-A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN -are not only very expensive BUT apart of boxed sets in which the majority of the releases have single releases. I eventually splurged on the Elia Kazan set-I do not regret that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Someone on the forum (Warren, maybe?) found a copy of Cavalcade on sale at a place which had, for some reason, split up the big box set.

Unfortunately, I cannot find where that report was given...or remember what was said at the time about the quality of the transfer.

I would have suspected that info was in this thread...but, obviously, it's not.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Another film that only appears in a giant box set is WHOOPEE. It was in the giant musicals b os set but never release as a single DVD release. It's been on VHS and LD but no DVD or BD. For that matter, lots of the Goldwyn films have not gotten DVD or BD releases and should -- including all of the Goldwyn/Cantor musicals.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ajabrams said:
Another film that only appears in a giant box set is WHOOPEE. It was in the giant musicals b os set but never release as a single DVD release. It's been on VHS and LD but no DVD or BD. For that matter, lots of the Goldwyn films have not gotten DVD or BD releases and should -- including all of the Goldwyn/Cantor musicals.
The elusive Kid Millions DVD was also in that set.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ajabrams

Yep, they are under MGM's oversight. I keep waiting to see them announced as a MOD, but only UA, Cannon, & AIP have seen a release.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Kid Millions was announced as a release some years ago but did not happen. I guess that it may have been set for release in Canada but did not happen. I had it on order from a Canadian on-line that was one time good and shipping quick. But they became fraudulent and I was billed for this with a shipping price and with many others did not arrive and they shut up shop twice in a 6 months or so period. The Canadian authorities did absolutely nothing and let the ground grow cold but the Canadian Embassy here told me one of their number had been stung by this business and my bank did refund much of what I lost. I was charged for the Harold Lloyd set twice and never got it as well.

Some one has stuck Palmy Days(1931) on YT.

I would gladly buy Goldwyn material on Blu Ray if they did it.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have TWO copies of Calvalcade on DVD from the Fox Box set (I work at a store where they sold them over christmas, and someone opened two sets and stole some of the DVDs, but not Cavalcade. The store wrote them off and was to throw out the sets, and I got the two Cavalcade discs.

The quality is incredible; they really did a good job on the restoration. The bonus features are an audio commentary and a newreel clip; I'd hope if they released it as a stand-alone they'd put more effort into it.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
battlebeast said:
I have TWO copies of Calvalcade on DVD from the Fox Box set (I work at a store where they sold them over christmas, and someone opened two sets and stole some of the DVDs, but not Cavalcade. The store wrote them off and was to throw out the sets, and I got the two Cavalcade discs. The quality is incredible; they really did a good job on the restoration. The bonus features are an audio commentary and a newreel clip; I'd hope if they released it as a stand-alone they'd put more effort into it.
Funny, they steal some of the discs, but not the most desirable one in the box! :)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Whoever stole the discs was probably a none buff who wanted later made films, perhaps had a Christmas Gift Wishlist for some of the later titles. But surely it takes time to unwrap and select from such sets. Lord, it takes forever to open some single discs getting all those stupid stickers off the top and sometimes the bottom & side.

I had a grocery sort like a Moms & Dad size that I ran mostly by myself. It was narrow but long. The cash register desk was to the side near the front door. Opposite that was a three door milk & drinks fridge but to the left was a metal racked shelf with various coffees & other lines(I sold mostly middle eastern foods & pasta by the truck load) one of which was Tabasco sauce which came in a small bottle put into a cardboard box(who knows why that was) and cost about A$2.50. I regularly found the empty boxes under the rack but never saw anyone trying to take the item. When I had my music shop with CDs, records & tapes, I had a few price sticker switchers but this was often detected because the price sticker was damaged. A guy who used to do this(and he came more that 15 miles to do it) is still alive at about 90 and the miserable sod that he is tells people I left the music trade because my prices were too high. But they were no higher than anyone else's as they were List and we gave loyalty discounts to regulars of 10% off and took trade-ins of unwanted material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks