What's new

Re: the Fox 75-disc Centennial collection & CAVALCADE (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I want CAVALCADE. You want CAVALCADE. It appeares this Oscar-winner that has never been released to video before will be available only as part of this four-hundred dollar set.

Well, I own virtually every single movie in this set (that I have any desire to own) except CAVALCADE, and I'm not going to spend $400. to get it. Has Fox, to anyone's knowledge, made plans to release this film separately?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
From what I have heard and read, mostly hearsay, Cavalcade WILL be released separatly. I need it because it is one of two Best Pictures I don't have a Region 1 copy of... and the copy I DO have has some annoying subtitle in chinese character at the beginning. And, it is one of 33 Best Pic nominees I DON'T have.

How can they NOT release it separatly? It would be a cash cow for them! all the people who WON'T buy the box set that want Cavalcade Will buy it separatly.

I would!

RBBrittain

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by battlebeast

From what I have heard and read, mostly hearsay, Cavalcade WILL be released separatly. I need it because it is one of two Best Pictures I don't have a Region 1 copy of... and the copy I DO have has some annoying subtitle in chinese character at the beginning. And, it is one of 33 Best Pic nominees I DON'T have.

How can they NOT release it separatly? It would be a cash cow for them! all the people who WON'T buy the box set that want Cavalcade Will buy it separatly.

I would!

+1. In fact, it's one of only two Best Pictures for which no legitimate US DVD even exists (Wings is the other); since they were released on VHS, they're the only reason I still have a VCR. The database in Barrie Maxwell's classics column at The Bits indicates it'll be out on DVD sometime this year. (I hope MoC gets hold of the transfer for a region-free Blu-ray, just like Sunrise & City Girl--both of which came from HD transfers Fox made for the nice-but-bloated Murnau, Borzage & Fox DVD boxset.)

OTOH, I'm certainly not buying 74 other movies just to get Cavalcade, 11 of which I own or have on preorder--7 on Blu-ray (The Sound of Music, Patton, The French Connection, Independence Day, Moulin Rouge!, Slumdog Millionaire & Avatar), 4 on DVD (How Green Was My Valley, Gentleman's Agreement, All About Eve & Waiting to Exhale). Fox had BETTER release Cavalcade stand-alone, or a LOT of people will be mad. (But then, Fox has never had a true stand-alone US DVD release of Sunrise either--either a mail-in offer or part of a couple of boxsets. At least they let MoC do it right on Blu-ray...)

(Edit: Technically, Cavalcade shouldn't even be in the boxset, given that Fox has reverted back to the fiction that it began when they hired Darryl Zanuck & took over his 20th Century Pictures in 1935, changing Fox Film to 20th Century-Fox. Cavalcade was made two years before that, by Fox Film in 1933.)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have Wings, but that's a can of worms I can't open. And yes, I have most of the films in the box set... even most of the ones that aren't best pic noms.

I understand fully that this box set is a release of Fox's greatest films celebrating 75 years... but Cavalcade? O.o

Anyway, I read Barrie Maxwell's colum all the time, and I read the database as well...good stuff. VERY helpfull to me... has helped me in knowing several films have been announced.

I read, in December, 2008, in a newspaper, that Fox was deep into restoring Cavalcade, so why it's been on the shelf for so long is beyond me. From what I read, the print was in DIRE need of restoration... so did it take well over to years to clean up?

And since it is an important film, Academy wise, why would it not be released singly?

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I don't understand who this box set is supposed to be for. Who the hell spends that much money on 75 movies with absolutely nothing in common except a STUDIO, and many of which they probably already own? The only person I can see buying this is someone who just bought their first DVD player, or maybe someone whose DVD collection was stolen.

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
As we hoped they would with their Murnau, Borzage set (2008).

Or Tobacco Road, The World Moves On, Four Men and a Prayer & Seas Beneath -- the lone titles exclusive to the Ford at Fox collection (2007).

Don't hold your breath.

I would!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by gunthertoody

Or Tobacco Road, The World Moves On, Four Men and a Prayer & Seas Beneath -- the lone titles exclusive to the Ford at Fox collection (2007).

Don't hold your breath.

Were not the Ford films released also in a four or three title sets along with the the big Ford box? I seem to recall they came out either at the same time or a few weeks latter.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by gunthertoody

Don't hold your breath.
Yes, but none of THOSE titles are as wanted as Cavalcade nor did they WIN BEST PICTURE. And only THREE of the films in the Murneau box set were nominated for best picture (I include Sunrise here). They released Sunrise as a separate disc, albeit in a box set and as a mail-a-way)... Bad Girl was just plain BAD, and a single disc edition doesn't (to me) seem practical. I have 7th Heaven on a single disc from another company, as well as in the set.

So I fully expect them to release Cavalcade on its own. They know what they have... and they know they'll make money off of it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But since they are issuing the disc for the big set, I can't see why they wouldn't go ahead with a stand alone release. While it may not be HUGE, there is obviously a market of cinemaphiles who would be anxious to pay for it.

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Wee Willie Winkie was the only one that was later released in April of 2008. None of the four mentioned above came out as part of boxed sets. About 20 or so did, but Tobacco Road, The World Moves On, Four Men and a Prayer & Seas Beneath are still only available via the ford at fox set.

Here's a good reference: http://www.classicflix.com/ford-december-a-141.html

Yes, but none of THOSE titles are as wanted as Cavalcade nor did they WIN BEST PICTURE. And only THREE of the films in the Murneau box set were nominated for best picture (I include Sunrise here). They released Sunrise as a separate disc, albeit in a box set and as a mail-a-way)... Bad Girl was just plain BAD, and a single disc edition doesn't (to me) seem practical. I have 7th Heaven on a single disc from another company, as well as in the set.

So I fully expect them to release Cavalcade on its own. They know what they have... and they know they'll make money off of it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Although I am not as optimistic as you about how much money Fox would make off that release. After all, I figure if you total up all the people who have even heard of Cavalcade...let alone have it on their short list of DVD purchases...you wouldn't need a very big scratch pad.

Well, Cavalcade was a winner for Best Motion Picture of 1933, so its more likely a casual consumer would look for an Academy Award winner rather than a "mere" nominee. It could hold better on its own in that regard.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
All they have to do is post "FIrst time EVER on DVD!" and "WINNER OF 3 ACADEMY AWARDS, INCLUDING BEST PICTURE, 1932-33" and I think it would grab attention from passersby; maybe they might not buy it, but some would... at any rate there are enough movie buffs out there that would buy it and make it a decent seller.

I think...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well we can hope the big box set does not sell and they can take the CAVALCADE discs out of it and sell them individually.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
LOL. I can't see them selling many of those $500 box sets, except to Oprah who will give them away like she did with the United Artists one.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
From all of the reviews i have been reading, and from the Press release, Fox IS NOT PLANNING to release Cavalcade as a stand-alone disc. How can they do this??? Do they NOT relealise how many people want this DVD??? :angry:

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by SilverWook

Sure, will do.

..and that Star Wars site hasn't been tended to or updated for two years. My collection has doubled since then. I really should get 'round to finishing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks