1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

"Re said..."

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Non Gender Specific. Anyone hear about this?

What do you think?

"Re said"
    "Ris said"

God forbid we use any sexist words to describe some one.
    Oops, did i just say God?

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Makes sense to re.

3. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Great now we're all going to go around sounding like Scooby Doo.

Chris

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Henry Carmona wrote:

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Uh ya, what Rex said [​IMG]

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    [​IMG] wtf, i dont get it...

7. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

8. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Henry, I've not heard about it, but it doesn't surprise me.
    That guy is an idiot plain and simple.

I wonder if Re will read this and if Re does if Re will get upset?

Rooooooby rooooooby dooooooooo!

9. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I think this is about using non-gender-specific singular third-person pronouns. Instead of using "he said," or "she said," or even the infamous "he/she said," or the grammatically incorrect "they said" (when speaking about one person), "re" would become the non-gender-specific singular third-person pronoun.

I once had an english college professor challenge the class to come up with just such a pronoun and see if they can get it accepted into common language.

Now, what I can't tell is whether or not Henry is making this "re" suggestion himself (or "reself") or if this is something that somebody else is trying to get introduced into our language...because I haven't heard of this yet.

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think it's fairly clear that Henry hasn't invented this, but wherever he hear it, it was obviously pretty obscure.

I interpretted it the same way as Bill, but I can't see it ever taking off.

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    wasn't there an episode of ST:TNG where Riker got involved with a hermaphrodite, and in his/her/it's? culture, the non-gender specific pronoun was "one", i.e. "one said"

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Wow, i guess i was the only one watching the news yesterday [​IMG]
    Actually it was one of those talk shows with two guys on CNN or something. Forgot what it was called.
    Anyway,they had that dood, MICHAEL A. NEWDOW, the one who filed the lawsuit(and won)about the Pledge Of Allegiance.
    He also is trying to get gender specific words (HE, SHE) OUT of the English Language.
    He wants to replace them with Re(He/She), and Ris(His/Hers), pronounced "rees".
    There is another for Him/Her, i think its Er.
    Anyway, they were really tearing this guy up man. It was actually funny.

13. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I bet the re-males are up in arms about this, seeing that the new terminology sort of defeats the purpose. [​IMG]

14. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Henry Carmona wrote:
    This is the solution "chosen" by modern English (prescriptive rules be damned!) long before there was ever a radical feminist movement or any such.
    It may interest the "purists" to know that they and its associated pronominal forms their, them are borrowed into English from Old Norse (presumably during the reign of the Danish Vikings over substantial portions of England). So, these things are eminently changeable, not set in stone.
    Languages, including Germanic ones, have no inherent problem with ambiguity among pronouns. German Sie (along with its possessive and objective forms) means (1) 'you (formal)' (masculine, feminine, or either plural); (noncapitalized) (2) 'she'; (3) 'they' (both genders), and it always takes the third plural form of the verb, unless it refers to the feminine singular third person.
    Finnish and Turkish, if memory serve correctly, have only one form for all third persons, singular and plural, all genders, and have no problems with it. However, they didn't get it by legislation (formal or informal). Doesn't work.

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Common English uses the word "He" to refer to a person when gender is unknown.
    http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=he

16. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    His arguement is that He/She is sexist and establishes a judgment, consciously or unconsciously, upon an individual.
    Ex: "My doctor said..., re said that i should do this till i get better."
    For some reason, he believes that some may not take the doctor, or lawyer, or other professinal seriously if they knew it was a woman or man.
    So how many languages have a "non gender specific" term for He/She?
    My wifes native language does not, shes from the Philippines, and she often finds it difficult getting He/She correctly when referring to someone.

17. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I know that Mandarin Chinese has the same sounding word for both "he" and "she." The characters are written differently but they both sound like "ta."

It sounds like it's this guy who has the problem though.

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

19. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

We've been using "He" to refer to gender unspecific people for hundreds of years. That's how the English language is.
    Oh yes, the "we've always done it that way, so why change" argument. [​IMG]
    The problem is that while one person might interpret the pronoun as gender neutral, another might not and vice versa. Its imprecise. With a specific gender neutral noun, you know the speaker does not intend to reveal the gender accidentally or convey a false image. It adds flexibility to the language.
    And yes the issue can be important. For instance in some bible translations (just using this as an example, I don't want to start a religious debate), the word "He" was in places used in a gender neutral case to describe God. However later readers, unaware of the original text, read it only as the masculine form. Because this has altered their perceptions, they get highly offended if someone points out that the original translation in places might refer to a female or gender neutral form.
    But of course while on paper it looks good, the whole idea of "manufacturing" a language is silly. Has any widely used language ever been created from scratch?

20. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Henry, Ryan, Eve, et al.:

Ad hominems are really not appropriate. It's fine if you disagree with the this guy's proposal (I do), but personal attacks demonstrate childish behavior. As a fellow user, I'm asking you all to please stop.

John.