Re-releases galore in 2002 !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deepak Shenoy, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I am a sucker for re-releases. I simply have to have the latest and greatest version that is out on DVD. In most cases when the re-releases include new anamorphic transfers (for titles that were previously non-anamorphic) or RSDL versions (for titles that were previously flippers), the DVD is definitely worth upgrading. The extra features are like icing on the cake.
    When I look at my "to-buy" list of rumored 2002 releases, I see many more re-releases than titles that have never been on DVD before. I don't know if it is a good sign (is my wish list of movies that are not on DVD dwindling ?) but here's my list :
    Goodfellas: SE (Badly needs both anamorphic and RSDL treatment. I hope Scorsese gets a chance to bless this one).
    Raging Bull: SE (needs anamorphic treatment. Hope this gets Scorsese participation too).
    Usual Suspects: SE (needs anamorphic treatment).
    Pulp Fiction: SE (needs anamorphic treatment).
    Reservoir Dogs: SE (needs anamorphic treatment. The director's cut should be interesting too).
    Blade Runner: SE (not sure what the features will be).
    Fargo: SE (Given the Coens' lack of interest in DVD extras, not sure what to expect here. The previous release was pretty good).
    Great Escape: SE (This classic deserves better than a badly cropped non-anamorphic transfer with a weird aspect ratio. The new version is supposed to come out in May 2002).
    Sleuth (Amazon has this listed with a release date of 2/5/2002. Hopefully this is the Anchor Bay 30th anniversary release with new anamorphic transfer and RSDL coding).
    (Of course I left out Escape from NY: SE, True Lies: 5-star Collection and Speed: 5-star Collection that are not on my personal wish list).

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Don't forget about Fox doing Office Space Special Edition!
    ------------------

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

How about a non-flipper release of the The Wild Bunch?
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Be glad that your titles to get are dwindling. I remember all to well back in June 1997 when I was dying to get any new title. The new releases were so few and far between back then that I would have bought any old iece of crap just to get something. There was no rental either so those were tough times.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

5. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I thought Warner said they were going to 'unflip' Amadeus the other night...

6. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I have held off on purchasing Office Space, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction and Batman (all favorites of mine) just waiting for the re-releases. I have almost broken down a couple of times...but I waited this long..I think I can hold out another year....
    ------------------
    Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I personally DETEST re-releases! If companies would do these right the first time, then re-releases wouldn't be needed. But alas, they are a reality because DVD was in it's infantile stages when some of these were released. I have held off on many of these films just waiting for an SE and I hope the companies give them the treatment they deserve!
    I'm particularly excited about Goodfellas (finally!), Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs (a 20th Anniversary Edition would be nice) and Usual Suspects.
    Oops, one mistake...I DID buy Batman, but it was way before I heard about the SE. After watching that disc and experiencing it's anemic soundtrack, I knew that they'd have to update it. I guess I was right...
    Ron
    [Edited last by Ron Reda on October 19, 2001 at 08:53 AM]

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

quote:
    "How about a non-flipper release of the The Wild Bunch?"
    You mean the version in stores now (snapper) is a flipper [​IMG] !!! Thanks for the warning!

9. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

And it's not anamorphic and there is artificial sharpening from start to finish. Yuck. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Ack! I just purchased the previous version of The Great Escape!
    Dammit!
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

"True Lies" maybe?

13. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator

14. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Don't forget Tron: Collector's Edition, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

16. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

As I'm sure most of you guys know, although from some of the comments, not everybody, JUST PUT THEM ON EBAY.
    I live in the UK & I've upgraded circa 100 of my disks and sold about another hundred I no longer wanted, I'd say over all I've lost about 10% of the value which is about the best depreciation I've ever encountered, also 10% is not much for anamorphic enhancement & lot's of extras.
    This has been a pleasure not a chore examples (all of which were originally Region 1) that bring a smile to my face are:
    Hard Boiled anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2)
    The Deer Hunter anamorphic (Australia, PAL, Region 4)
    Scream 2 anamorphic (Australia, PAL, Region 4)
    Scarface anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2)
    Scream uncut & anamorphic (Japan, NTSC, Region 2)
    Karate Kid anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2)
    From Dusk Till Dawn 2 disk Collector's Series anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2)
    Armageddon Criterion 2 disk (all that's missing from US version is the gag reel) anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2) - and yes this is true anamorphic I have >500 DVD's & a 56" widescreen TV and this is just about the best picture I've ever seen
    Vertigo anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2) - and yes I'm very confident this is true anamorphic also, they did not just stretch the non-anamorphic master as I've read someone who cannot accept they don't own the best version, state on this site before ** maybe RAH could confirm **
    Miracles anamorphic (UK, PAL, Region 2) - this is from Hong Kong Legends who I believe are just about the best DVD producer in the World, this transfer is a million times (not an exaggeration) better than the CTHV version, by the way it looks a better than Phantom Menace IMO

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  18. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Yeah, Tombstone! With that and American Pie 2, Jan. 15th is gonna be expensive.
    I don't get the problem with re-releases though. Look, there's never going to be a DEFINITIVE version. Videos have been re-released constantly throughout the years too. As time goes by, technology will advance, copyrights will change hands (or expire), restorations will take place, and new talent will be involved (you think if a few years from now Spielberg changes his mind about commentary, there won't be a re-release?). I for one hope that studios consistently re-release improved product.
    The one caveat is when a studio intentionally witholds the best they can offer with the hope of gouging the audience. If MGM wants to release a movie on DVD that has never before been available and then a year later brings out the SE (ie, Princess Bride) when the special features are available, I don't have a problem, but if a studio wants to dupe you twice with slight improvements or alterations in the disc (ostensibly what Universal has done a few times) then that's just greedy.
    Anyway, no big deal. There will always be re-releases. Some are great, some are a rip-off.
    [Edited last by David Illingworth II on October 19, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

19. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

20. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Anchor Bay are also doing new, 16x9 upgrades of DJANGO, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS and Werner Herzog's NOSFERATU. The first two of those were fairly average transfers so I'm glad of Anchor Bay's decision to redo them.