What's new

re-released Final Fantasy Tactics? (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hi all. I've never played Tactics, but have played every other FF game released on US soil. I know this game is tough to find, other than on Ebay. I read in EGM that is was to be released under the PSX "Greatest Hits" collection. So the price is around $20.
But gamestop had it listed for $25 and a release date of 7-31-01. EBGames search function was down, so I called them and they had no listing for it.
Anyone know if this is coming soon, and is it really as good as I've read?
Thanks,
Jason

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
damn...
this thread had me crave a bit of tactics action so i went to the old playstation library and pulled out the jewel case...but it was empty!
argh
i'll have to ask around...if i can find i'd be willing to trade it...
------------------
Bring Degrassi out on DVD!!

Nathan A

Second Unit
I bought this game about 6 months ago used for $50 thinking it'd be my last chance to get it. Oh, well.
It's definately worth $20 or $25. The combat engine is very enjoyable, and the game is a bit difficult. The most difficult thing about it though is the story. Talk about one confusing mess. I couldn't even follow it, but the battles (and maxing out my guys) kept me hooked till the end.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ahhhhh, FFT. Easily one of my favourite PSX games, easily one of my favourite games of all time. I've clocked well over 100 hours playing it, still to max out my chars, still to get bored.
It's different to the 'regular' FF games - much more strategy orientated, with the chess board style terrain & turnbased movement. A good comparision is a much more inpdeth/more to do version of the first Vandal Hearts game. It's not everyone's cup of tea - it's slow paced, it requires thinking/planning to win battles, it takes a major chunk of time to finish - easily 50 hours.
However, the rewards are worth it - the character development system is superb. Skills are learned via jobs - as you use a job skills, you gain skill points in that job which you use to learn new skills. As you progress, new jobs open up - some of which are *very* *very* powerful. Calculators *rock*. You really get attached to your team too, which is always a good thing.
Effects on special attacks are good too. Music's nice too. At its heart, it's an isometric strategy game though
wink.gif

The story is a little confusing if you don't pay attention - it's a story of political intrigue, backstabbing by everyone, with a lot of religious overtones. I found the ending superb & worth every hour I spent on it.
I *love* this game... Even though it's a good two years since I finished it, I kept a savegame from just before the final battles, and every so often I load it up & play a few battles to continue building up my squad. I *Love* it. I'm so glad it's getting re-released at a decent price that will allow lots of people to finally play it.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Brian! I really hope I can find this disc soon. I'll have to give my game distributor a call to see if he's got any info on the re-release. If not, as luck would have it I talked to a friend of mine who works 2 doors down from where I do and he said I could borrow his copy if I wanted. I'd rather just buy it though. I'd feel guilty borrowing a game for 2 months so I can play it all the way through with numerous characters.
Now if only Square and Nintendo would kiss and make up. I'd love to play the original 8-bit FF game(s) put out for the Wonderswan on a GBA.
Jason

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I had heard that Square wanted to remake (like they did with FF1-3 on Wonderswan color) FF4-6 for GBA in Japan in a statement, but Nintendo issued a statement saying that they wish to not work with Square. I think Square should remake all of the games up to 6 and release them on a DVD or two for PS2 and just make it like $100. People will pay that much for 6 games, but it may be too much. Maybe they could make Final Fantasy Generations and make it be 3 different collections (NES Generation, SNES Generation, PSX Generation).....maybe......but probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks