Re: My new Toshiba 46HX83...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dick, May 20, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    What an awesome unit! Such theater-like image. This is my first widescreen set, and using progressive scan the DVD's are so remarkable-looking. It will be fun re-watching my entire collection on this and seeing them all in a whole different light - literally.

But a few questions:

Currently I am using a Super-VHS connection. Obviously I will eventually switch to component or DVI, but I have to make a thirty-foot run due to the way my home theater is configured, so it will be a while. I do notice a certain dullness or pastiness (such as I see in many of today's theatrical prints) on some DVD's that used to look pretty vibrant on my 32" tube. Will using component/DVI make a really noticable difference in terms of color rendition? Or can I save myself a few hundred dollars for new DVD player/30-foot DVI cable and stick with S-VHS?

Also...

I find the horizontal viewing range to be fairly wide (I can sit 50 degrees or more off to the sides and not lose much brightness), but the vertical is extremely narrow. If I either sit up very straight or slouch down a bit, I lose a fair amount of luminance. Is there any way of adjusting the set so that the vertical viewing angle is increased? (I do realize that the further back one sits from the set, the less noticable this will be). I imagine this is an issue typical of rear-projection sets.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Hey dick I purchased on of these bad boys back in March. I really really enjoy it....The DLPs do have a very very limited vertical viewing angle...you might try adjusting the bulb brightness on the menu. Also make sure you calibrate useing AVIA or a THX disc to get make sure you are getting the best visuals. The TV tends to make stuff that looks great look REAL GREAT and stuff that looks bad look REAL BAD....What you might also start to notice is dithering or a slight blurring when the camera is in a steady pan....the times i notice this are when watching HD 24 and HD american Idol and they pan across the contestants.

I have also heard that using the HDMI can cause some ghosting...check out the thread they have on these sets and avsforum.com....LOTS of info there.

3. John S

John S Producer

Component Video or better can and does make a large improvement on the color vividness.

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Thanks, Michael and John. A further question: I am quite disappointed with presentation of black and white movies. I clearly detect greenish/pinkish tones in the whites, which dropping color to "zero" do not reduce. Is this something that might be corrected with component/DVI cable? Otherwise, how would I minimize the problem?

5. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

If you buy a component cable you will notive a massive increase in the video quality of DVD. As for their being a greenish tone...see what setting your set is on cool, neutral or warm. It might be set to cool. Do keep in mind though that these sets have somewhat of a red and green push problem. I have counteracted this using the video settings on my DVD player.