re: Mitsubishi Silver vs. Gold/Platinum/Diamond etc

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Abrams, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Mark Abrams

Mark Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Feb 13, 1999
    I'm considering replacing my recently failed 15y/o Mitsu
    VS585R with a new model - went today to Best Buy and it seems they only handle the Silver line of their rear projectors?? Is Platinum or Diamond worth the extra
    for someone who is in a small town and has no access to
    HDTV cable broadcasts (or satellite, for that matter - no
    clear southern exposure)?? I've heard outstanding things
    about their Diamond series, but it's really far more than I wanted to spend.

One of my main concerns are these "glossy screen protectors" the rear proj. TVs have nowadays.. so much
    light reflects in them, and they say the Mitsu ones are
    easily removable??

I questioned them about LCD sets as well, which deliver tremendously impressive HD images, but I'd be watching mostly analog cable signals & DVDs...also, they told me the lamp in them has to be replaced every 5 to 6 years, at cost of anywhere from $250 to $800 a pop, which to me seems a bit much, considering what you'd pay for an LCD set to begin with...

If I *CAN* get my 15y/o set repaired - either the convergence board or a CRT will have to be rebuilt - it will end up costing me $80 for evaluation + $400 or so
    plus tax for the actual work.... is it really worth it
    if this is a 15y/o TV?

2. Geraldine/F/M

Jun 2, 2004
    I suggest a Gold series in the Mitsubishi. They are HDTV's, so they are capable of receiving off the air hdtv signals (with a set top box). The gold series WSxx513 are still available. At Sears, the ws65513 is 2599.99.

As for the old tv, it is the devil and the deep blue see. You may have it repaired and get several years or it may go out again next year.

Good luck
  3. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

Jul 4, 2000
    Right now is a great time to pick up a gold series set. Sears has most of theirs on clearance. You should be able to get a gold (i.e. 55513) series for about what the new 55315 goes for at BB.
  4. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

Jun 22, 2000
    Best Buy and Sears both offer the bottom of the barrel line of the Mitsu TVs. If you aren't looking for the ability to tweak the heck out of your PQ then I would say to buy from them. However, neither the 313 or the 515 models allow you to turn off VSM, which would keep me away from those models. The SilverPlus series and the GoldPlus series (413 and 613 models) allow you to turn off VSM and also have an extended color pallet that is adjustable through regular menus. If you are looking for more features, I'd go with the Plus series. If not, I'd jump on the Sears models with the integrated HD tuners. I really like the Mitsubishi TVs myself and reccomend them. Hitatchi is another great brand to look into as well. They are usually in the same price neighborhood.