Re-insalling XP to C: drive; will my D: hard drive be unchanged?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Timon Russo, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I figured I could just back everything up to there, and have it be intact at the time the re-installation is complete. Is this right, or am I in for a rude awakening?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm guessing it's a seperate physical drive and not a partition?

You'll be fine if so. When you do your format you'll be able to choose which drive to format and again with you install Windows. Just make sure you choose C:

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

If you reinstall windows without a reformat, all the non-windows information on your C: drive will be left alone as well. Windows installation will only delete the C:windows or C:winnt folder.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    if you have data in the 'my documents' folder, i'd move that somewhere else. i'm not sure, but i remember hearing something about that folder being over-written during a windows reinstall.

CJ

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Windows will make a new folder for whatever profile you make in the "Documents ane Settings" folder so all the information kept on there will be safe as well.

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Timon,

You will, of course, have to re-install all your applications after re-installing Windows. Backing up apps to another drive won't serve any purpose.

7. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I plan on doing it this week. Of course, I will be reinstalling apps. And this isn't a "repair" installation, I plan on formatting C: and starting fresh.