re: Good & Bad Mitsubishi DLP Viewed Today

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Abrams, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Mark Abrams

Mark Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Was shopping at a local retailer this evening, and they had on display a Mitsu 73727 1080p in hi-def that was absolutely stunning. Too big for my space, but then
    I looked at a 52" Mitsu in both hi-def and SD and the SD picture was absolutely horrible, blurred and far worse than what my former 50" Mitsu CRT RPTV would have produced. The salesperson blamed it on excessive line-doubling, but that didn't sound right ... I wonder if he just showed me an SD picture without any upscaling?? The comparably-sized Samsungs looked *wayyyyy* better in SD...

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I would not judge a TV's capability by what you see in a local retailer. A lot goes into displaying a picture other than hooking it up and turning it onw which most retailers do. If it seema like a nice set and is the right size for you than ask about the return policy and give it a test run at home so you can truely judge its' potential

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

DLP and SDTV look pretty darn bad.

Try the Sony SXRD. No flicker, rainbows, better connection options, blacks, etc.

AND decent SDTV. Much better scaling. DVD looks great.

4. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

the sony RP LCD tv also reproduce SDTV reasonably well and i almost bought the 42" model but my wife rejected "that mostrosity" but it really was nice

5. Mark Abrams

Mark Abrams Stunt Coordinator

(re: PeterTHX's response) ... I didn't think DLP technology was so inferior?? I know that Sony's SXRD technology has met with rave reviews, but is the difference so much that it warrants spending $2000 more for the same size TV??!?!?