1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Re: External Amplifier

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Woodley, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Matthew Woodley

I was just wondering about using my current Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX as a processor and looking at an external amp. I was wondering what people thought about the Rotel RMB-1095. I'm using NHT VT-1.2's, NHT VS-1.2a, NHT HDP-2's, and a NHT SW2Pi. I'm just looking to get a little more power as the Pioneer seems to lack in powering the NHT's.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Matthew. I believe their is another post either on this current page or the next page that addresses this very issue. However, in short if you are looking for more control of your bottom end, more headroom with hopes to enhance clarity, detail and dynamics without distortion, then a 2-channel power amp should be more than enough to get yo to that level of performance that you are seeking. The receiver can handle the center and surrounds easily while the mains are handled by the power amp. No need to PLOP all that money down on a 5-channel amp unless you are running fullsize on your rears and surrounds.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Martice et al, I am posting on that other thread and therein one poster advises about speaker IMBALANCE if all 5 speakers are not powered by the same amp. I dont understand this concept.
    Per your $$$ observation, I'd sure like to just use a 2-chl ext. amp and continue to use such a setup with the AVR for ALL 5-chl aps: DVD, TV audio (DPL) and 5-speaker stereo.
    Comment?
    bill
    ------------------

4. Matthew Woodley

What do you guys think about the Rotel RB-991 and RB-993 Combo?
    Thanks,
    Matt

5. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>What do you guys think about the Rotel RB-991 and RB-993 Combo?
    Excellent combo. It is discontinued I think.
    The 991 powering the fronts and the 993 powering the rear/center would be close to perfect.
    I would rather spend a bit more and get 2 x 993 and then monoblock them. That is one 993 powers the left side of the room, the other powers the right.
    Have two channels to a bi-wired center or go a full 6.1 setup.
    People often overlook the fact that separates are very configureable for what your prime function is.
    T.

6. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Bill,
    Speaker imbalance caused by using different amplifiers is sort of the same thing as imbalance caused by using different speakers, but to a milder degree. Since each different amplifier will impart a different sound to your system, ideally you would like to have the same type of amp powering every channel.
    However, if you are more critical of 2 channel than multi, a perfectly good upgrade path is to buy a 2 or 3 channel amp for the fronts and let your receiver continue to handle the other channels. Similar to how many have 2 or 3 identical speakers for the front, and a smaller model for the rear. Coupled with a powered sub, the power supply in a receiver shold have plenty of juice for the rears and probably center also.
    When visuals are involved (i.e. movies), studies have shown people to be far less perceptive to small variances in audio compared to when just listening to music. Humans are primarily visual creatures! For this reason, though it is ideal to have the same amp, you can "get away" with not having the same amp on all 5 channels. In fact, if like me 2 channel purity is slightly more important than 5.1, you can get a far better 2 channel amp for the same money you would spend on a lesser 5 channel.
    So in order of importance (IMHO):
    Front L/R
    Center
    Surrounds
    Of course I assume you have a powered sub. Remember every channel you take away from the receiver is less stress on and more power available for the channels the receiver does drive.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

thx, steve,
    those Marantz MA700 monoblks are lookin' better!
    ------------------