What's new

Re-EQ similar to THX?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I was just curious if Re-EQ circuitry is similar to THX? Since my Pre/Pro has this options should I use it during movie playback? Thanks

Kevin

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
THX is only a set of specifications, nothing more. If you play a movie in THX mode, it plays it to those specs(it basically plays at a certain dB, and moves all lows to the sub).

A THX receiver means that the receiver paid its dues and got the cert. A THX speaker is the same.

Now what does all of this mean to you? AFAIK, it means next to nothing if your room isn't built to THX standards.

I rarely ever use the THX setting.

I'm not sure what Re-EQ is, but it's probably a DSP setting.

Sam

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sam,
Sorry but you are wrong.. :D
THX is a set of performance specifications AND (see the and?)
a Post Processing option.
On a THX Certified Receiver for example, the amplifier section
is tested so that it can meet THX's sonic requirements. The
power supplly is checked to ensure it's "clean" and then
they add the THX Post Proccessing which includes Re Equalization,
Decorralation and Timbre Matching. These 3 features work
together to tame Movie's that were mastered for very large
theaters (If you master a movie for a real theater and then
sell that same mastering under a DVD Label for Home Theaters
the Highs will be FAR too high..

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Sam,
That's a bit of an oversimplification!
THX processes the sound of audio with certain procedures to attain a certain sound. For better or worse, there is more to it :)
THX is instituted using 3 main processes: ReEq, Timbre Matching, and (Adaptive) Decorrelation. Go to www.thx.com for the full run down.
Kevin,
The gist of ReEq is that it's a high frequency roll-off process so that sounds won't be so shrill, particularly at higher volumes. It is a very personal choice to use this and when, but often it's on older material, before studios got keen on remastering audio for Home Theaters. Other members can go into more detail, but this is a pretty basic overview. Try it on some early DVD's or DPL source and see if it works for you. If not, it's always there if you change your mind. Good luck!
Matt

Hi Kevin

In regards to your enquiry re thx and re eq on your processor.

Having done the THX level 1 training. I can tell you that while some manufactures do offer re eq on their processors. Their re eq depends on the roll off curve and it may be VERY close to THX specs or may be way off. It depends on the maufacturer. I have found having used the processors from the fogate/harman clones to be VERY close to the thx re equ curve. Namely fosgate 3a and h&k avp 1a Also the recent citation models.

As for the rest, THX basically is a set of minimum performance stands that have to be met or can be exceeded by the manufacturer to gain certification and WEAR the badge. Also THX is a process of technologies that will enhance the sound to which it is applied to. This is for many people highly contraversial.

But in a nutshell it solves many of the problems associated with surround sound and the playback for the majority of environments that people will use it in.

I think THX has done a lot for the industry as a whole. But personally I feel since in its inception from the early days. It has adapted itself to market changes and as a result comprimised it origional set of standards. It was what I had forseen from the early days and has come true. Now we have different levels of THX certification. And while the origional standards can still be acheived it has put itself into different classes.

Geting back to your origional question what is your processor? Is it thx cert? You may find that if it is a thx processor. And you may have a re eq feature on your processor. Because it is certified and the manufacture has paid it dues to thx. They may under licencing aggreement be able to use the exact re equ curve as a separate engament. When you select thx mode it obviously applies the applicable technologies of which re eq is.

Hope this helps

cheers

sorry about the text size on my post not all that together with computer related items.

This was my first post on THIS forum.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
No Brett, I'm not wrong. I may be guilty of oversimplification, but it's a set of specs, guidelines, and a setting on your machine. I think my post says that...
And the reality is, if you don't have all THX equipment, including room size and build and such, you won't get the sound that Lucas intended.
I do apologize for my ignorance with Re-EQ, however, but I'm not a THX guy, myself, I was just imparting my 2 cents...when I shoulda handed over 50! :D
Sorry if there was any confusion.
Sam

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sam,

Tsk Tsk.. Ya miss the point..

The specs mean squat.. Most mid to high end gear can ALL

meet the specifications side of THX Certification but the

added Post Processing features of the Receiver is where the

majority of improvment lies.. You don't have to have THX

Certified speakers and wire and a THX Certified room to reap

the benefits of THX-Select and Ultra's Post Processing features.

As has been said a bazillion times, it can and does tame

harsh sound tracks meant for LARGE theaters that otherwise

sound overly bright in small to modest sized home theaters.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
My ignorance overwhelms me :b

I bow out of this discussion and turn it over to the THX guys. I didn't mean to mislead with "info" I'd gathered over the last few years.

Sam

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sam,
Ignorance? sure take the easy way out! :D
And don't call me a THX guy either! :)
All I am saying is that the Post Processing
is far more important than the specifications
side of things. THX and non THX guys all know
that there are many non THX Certified speakers
and wires and such that can meet or exceede THX
Specifications, yet the companies refuse to pay
Lucas to wear the badge. But you won't find the
Timbre Matching and Active Decoralation and Re-EQ
on the non Certified components. (Well you may find
Re-EQ but as has been stated it may not be calibrated
the same or even close to a THX Cert Receiver)
We agree to disagree and can still have a beer.. Right?
heh Ok I am going to bed NOW! :)

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Re-EQ is to take the edginess or 'brightness'out of

the sound of a movie where sound mixed for theatres will

sound too 'bright' when played back in home theatre speakers.

It works pretty well for dialoque coming from the centre

speaker. I always on the RE-EQ mode on my Onkyo A/V amp.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Thanks to all that responded. Since my Marantz AV560U Pre/pro offers it I'll try it out and see how it works.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks