Re-Eq on or off when calibrating?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Aug 21, 2002.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I've been wondering this for a while. I always leave Re-Eq enabled on my receiver when watching movies.

Since Re-Eq does equalization on the sound, would it be best to calibrate the speakers with Re-Eq on or off? Does it even matter?

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

My understanding is that re-eq mainly affects high frequencies, which are attenuated a bit when re-eq is active. This should not affect levels...much. Nonetheless, I would recommend balancing channels with the re-eq off just to be safe.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Should we be utilizing Re-eq at all? Aren't newer DVD's re-mixed for HT now to to eliminate the high frequencies associated with cineplex's?

Kevin

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Since Re-Eq occurs in the upper frequencies and most test tones used to calibrate are in the 1khz region, it doesn't matter if you calibrate with it on or off.
    Kevin,
    It's true that some of the newer DVDs are remixed for HT but I think the majority are still not. Re-Eq is still useful for the many thousands of DVDs that have the original theatrical mixes. For example, Mi Casa Studio lists only about 70 movies that have been re-mixed.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

as long as you listen and calibrate with the same setting it shouldn't really matter should it? the spl only measures the general loudness anyway...it doesn't measure specific frequencies (although that would be cool).
    however...
    i noticed that in my onkyo, the re-eq actually boosts (or cuts...can't remember which) my rear channels. [​IMG]
    i was surprised by that...anyway i keep mine off all the time now.
    ted