re: DLP vs. LCD vs. Lcos

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Abrams, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Mark Abrams

Mark Abrams Stunt Coordinator

I am currently in the market for a new big-screen TV (my Mitsubishi rear proj died last Summer)... previously I had been really sold on the picture on DLP's but I recently went to a Best Buy and the Sony LCD's looked wayyy more impressive, as did the Lcos display. Isn't the latest
    generation chip out on DLP's ? Does Sony simply tweak their brightness & color to make the display look better than the Samsung DLP's?? I had always thought DLP was the superior technology.... would like some input/guidance here... Thanks!

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Because all current DLP models use sequential red, green, and blue imaging off of a single display element, some people notice color fringing and some people even get a headache watching it. Therefore LCD, almost all of whose models use three display elements, despite the lesser black to white range and not so deep blacks, still has a good portion of the consumer market.

In order to get a good comparison, you would need to bring your AVIA or Video Essentials test disk right to the store and start tinkering with the brightness, contrast, etc.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Absolutely! You can't compare sets that aren't calibrated!