re-building surround system

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Armand_Boivin, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Armand_Boivin

Armand_Boivin Stunt Coordinator

armand Boivin
    Well, my wife and I just got a 56" toshiba DLP (56hm66) so that closes the book on my TV but now opens the book on surround sound system.. right now I am looking at MMG's for my system speakers... not sure what I would use to push them yet.. I had good dealing with outlaw audio before so I might get the reciever they have if it will push it... can anyone recommend any other receivers/speakers? I am thinking no more than 1300 for speakers and maybe max of 1500 for receiversub. Is this reasonable?

PS. this system will be used primarily for Moviesvideo games

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Armand - what are the dimensions of the room? Are you looking to build a 5.1 or a 7.1 system? Do you require HDMI switching on your receiver? What DVD Player do you own? Does your budget include speaker cabling, subwoofer cabling and A/V cabling? Do you plan on purchasing surge protection and universal remote?

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I love your choice of speakers....big Maggie fan here. But trust me, you're going to want an outboard amp to drive them. You can either get a receiver with pre-outs and add an outboard amp to it, or just get an amp and pre/pro combo like the ones Outlaw offers.

I consder the MMGs to be the best speakers money can buy under $1k, but they need some good clean power to sound their best.

4. Armand_Boivin

Armand_Boivin Stunt Coordinator

armand Boivin
    ok.. for now my room size is like 8wx20L (not fully sure) TV is centered on the long side. As for 5.1 or 7.1.. not sure yet.. was thinking 5.1 but i guess that depends on cost at this point. right now i am not sure about the hdmi switching. For the DVD player I have a Sony 5 disc HDMI. As for the cabling it will probably be extra. My wife and I just got a monster surge protector phase 1 for the TV. as for the remote.. not sure yet.

how are the Maggies for Home theather? I was looking at the MMGW and MMGC.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Well, it all depends on what you want out of your HT experience. Personally, I fell in love with the MMGs for HT because they brought the movie to life. Everything from vocals, to the simple sound of lake water splashing up on the side of a boat, to that of a chainsaw in a horror flick. It will basically suck you into the film in a way that you may not be used to, and in a way you may not entirely be aware of until after the film is over! If that appeals to you, then these are the speakers for you. If, however, you want to just bring down the house with as much sound pressure as you can generate from an action flick, then you're better off sticking with a box speaker. That being said, my MMGs had no problem handling something like 'saving private ryan', 'flight of the phoenix', or 'star wars'. As long as you mate them with a subwoofer, you'll find that they can play surprisingly loud and offer a fair bit of impact with heavy action scenes. But you need to give them the amp that they need, cause their impedence can dip down at times and you need an amp that can accomodate that.

so, in short, I think the Maggies are great for HT [​IMG]