What's new

RE Audio sub DIY HT anyone? (1 Viewer)

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Saw these while doing a search. The RE Audio sxx and sex models. Does any know about the quality of these subs or has anyone worked with them? I was thinking a out picking up the 12's or 15's to play around with for an HT sub. Let me know your thoughts guys. Specs look good but have t seen anything here about them. Price is also pretty good. Let me know what you think

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've looked at the T/S parameters and they look like they will be good performers. What are your plans? Ported or sealed? Plate amp or pro amp? Single or dual subs?

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
Ok I've modeled the REsxx and Sex 12" models. Short skinny of it is at 4.5 cubic foot the sex version with 500w it does not preform close to the TC epic 12. Between the 20-30hz range it is about -5db less than the epic 12. I have to pump it with 900w where it hits its Xmax and am still -3db between the same range. The sxx which has a higher excursion of 22mm versus the 18 in the sex I have to pump in over 1000w and am still lacking between the 20-50hz range. It is -4db there. Modeling was done in winisd alpha. So from a pure modeling standpoint the TC epic 12 models out much better with a single driver. Modeling with a dual driver come up with similar data. The advantage i see is that the sxx model will give you much greater spl if you choose to like the 55hz and up. As far as lower end between 20-55hz the epic performs much better in the modeling than the sxx and sex models

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never modeled any of them. The only RE subs I have heard solid info on are the XXX series. Fix My Speaker dot com has posted that he will now rebuild them. The voice coil isn't large enough to handle the 2,000+ watts of power that it takes to even get them to really move. He uses lighter parts and a thicker coil for more BL.

Bstloukal1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Byron
What is see interesting is that the RE and Fi subs the ones that workd actually modeled good for me were the lowest cost models from each company. They both modeled similar to the TC epics. When I modeled the high price higher power subs from each company the modeling with my criteria and adjusted criteria for box size etc just didn't make sence to even look at Even with the added power needed to push them the performance didn't seem very good. No real increase in spl. Any thoughts on why the bottom line models should perform better as far as spl, air velocity etc. I guess I figured if you we're paying more you get some increased performance but what I am seeing is just the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks