What's new

Rdv 1060 (1 Viewer)

RobertS

Grip
Anyone familiar with the Rotel RDV 1060? I am looking at replacing an old Sony dvd player and my stereo dealer suggested the Rotel for great CD sound and video picture. I see allot of people recommending the Denon 2900 so I was wondering how the Rotel would compare to it.

Thanks,

Rob

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have one. I use it for DVD-A and DVD-V in my main system. I have a (37.5 lb.) Samsung HD1000 DVD-A/DVD-V player as well which upsamples the video via the component outs (it has no DVI). The video on the Rotel is excellent. I was told that it uses the same or similar video processor as the $11k Linn Unidisk. The Samsung I have is better on video on a good transfer. DVD-A is superb on the Rotel. CD is OK. Keep in mind I have a modded XA-777ES and other things in the main system that are really good on CD. I've never been able to audition the Denon in a setting in the type of store I would like. From what I've seen the video is very good and it does an OK job on CD, DVD-A, and SACD but nothing to write home about. I did hear the Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer next to it (the Denon) which I ended buying for the secondary basement system. It was easily better than the Denon on CD and a bit better on SACD from the ltd. stuff I brought. Last yr. Rotel held a seminar at a local high end shop and the Rotel rep did share that they bought a drive that will handle SACD and are working on a universal player. So I would not be surprised it if comes out at CES in Jan.

So it depends on how important each of the formats (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD) are to you and the importane of having everything in on piece of equipment. If CD were really importand one could always get a decent used DAC down the road for either machine.

RobertS

Grip
SimiA,

thanks for the link to the review, I found it very helpful.

Phil A I talked to my dealer tonight and I am going to demo one for a week, I just wish they had Denon so I could do a side by side comparison. From the review, my dealer, and you it sounds like its a great player for the money but its hard to find allot of info on the web. I noticed the 2900 can be picked up for around $600.00 so with the Rotel being a couple hundred more I wanted to make sure it was worth the extra money, I guess I will find out next week. I do wish it had DVI out to hook into my projector but can do without it if the picture and sound are as good as my dealer tells me.

thanks,

Rob

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I guess the Denon is being phased out as their 2910 or whatever model will replace the current one. The Denon is a universal player as noted so it also plays SACD. I had the opportunity to demo the Rotel at home while my Samsung HD1000 was in for warranty work. While the upconverted video over the component outs is stunning on the Samsung, I was quite blown away by how good the DVD-A was on the Rotel and did not expect it at its price point. I have a Pioneer Elite DV-47A in bedroom on the other side of the wall to the main system and it is connected to the main system. The DV-47A is decent on DVD-A. The Samsung blew it away and Rotel took it to another level. Since I have 3 systems (main, bedroom and basement), I have kept the Rotel in the main system. I was a little underwhelmed by its CD playback via the analog outs but it is not an issue for me since I have a reference CD player already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks