RDS on AVR Tuners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobPeck, Oct 9, 2001.

1. BobPeck

BobPeck Agent

After having it in my car, I very much like the Radio Data System (RDS) that is on my car stereo. This system shows two bits of information
    * Station Name/Call Leters
    * PTY (Programming Type): Lite Rock, Jazz, Public Radio, etc.
    I forget which one, but I noticed some high-end Pre-pro had RDS on it, perhaps from Adcom.
    Are there any AVR's (Outlaw, Marantz, Denon, etc.) that have RDS on their tuners?

2. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I believe the Denons do.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Bob: European models have it (the UK for sure.) And, a few years back, so did several US models, including Denon. But, I have not seen it lately on any US models. Denon no longer uses it on any recent models that I know of(cost savings??) I have a 3802 and no RDS...
    ------------------

4. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard Extra

I have not surveyed RDS in the receiver market. But I'll add that RDS can do more then what your car radio displays.
    In the Boston market there are three or four major radio stations which broadcast the artist, title and year of the recording playing, and then give you sneak peak at what is up next. You need a scrolling display to see all the info, but it's pretty cool...
    ------------------
    Buzz Goddard
    TAG McLaren Audio

5. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

My HK Signature 2.0 Pre/Pro has it. So far, I have only noticed one radio station here in Houston that makes use of it.