RCE on "Memento SE"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom B. Stones, May 10, 2002.

1. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone happen to know if the imminent Region 1 SE of "Memento" will be subjected to RCE? I have this on pre-order, and this has occured to me all of a sudden. If it is the case, this will be dreadful news for those of outside R1.
    I'm getting anxious! [​IMG]
    (There's a review up already at www.dvdfile.com.)

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I shouldn't think it will, mainly due to the fact that the film is already out in other counties on DVD in some form.

There's no doubting RCE was introduced to prvent those in English speaking countries obtaining the films earlier, but given Memento was on PAL R2 before R1 then I don't see it being an issue. Whilst R2 isnt getting this super duper SE version, I've never known a disc to be RCE in order to prevent those in other regions from seeing the additional supplements.

I've only known discs to be RCE (from Sony) when a specific title out on region 1 is yet to open, or has just opened, in cinemas overseas.

Dan

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The recent Jerry Maguire SE was not RCE but this may be because Columbia own rights in both US & UK. It is due in the UK sometime as extras have been certified by BBFC.

Also with Memento it is a Pathe ? release in UK so why would Columbia want to protect revenue of another distributor would want to encourage us to buy R1 and pocket the money

4. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

I [​IMG] at region coding,
    I [​IMG] at RCE,
    I [​IMG] at Macrovision,
    I [​IMG] at un-altered versions of Japanese monster movies...
    all because I have a multi-region DVD player.
    I finally had to get a region/macrovision free player just to be able to use my RPTV without annoying macro-flashing during regular DVD playback.
    Encryption technologies have been and always will be breakable by hackers with nothing else better to do than break the code and post their work on the web anonymously minutes after they find a breakthrough.
    Analog and digital anti-copy encryption technologies DO affect playback quality for many who LEGALLY try to use a product with no intent to break copyright. Now music CDs are being test-released with intentional faulty data so that they are more difficult to clone, but they also do not playback on many computers and much of the equipment we have in our hi-fi systems. Currently some hacker is working on or has already found a work-around that will nullify the effectivenes of the encyption resoulutely.
    When are the video companies going to realize that the only way to stop piracy is to get prices down to a point where piracy is simply not attractive? When this occurs, the sheer volume of product sold will easily outpace losses from piracy.
    Imagine the number of CDs you'd gladly purchase if they cost $5.00-$7.00 MSRP across the board. How many DVD titles would you buy if they were $10.00 to $12.00 MSRP? Don't you think the volume of product moved would be more than enough to make up for piracy losses?
    With the cost of CD/DVD of production, packaging, and distribution now representing nominal cost per item to the studios, royalties and corporate profit represent the bulk of what consumers pay for when they purchase a title. At $18.00 per new studeo CD ($12-$16 at retail), it's no wonder people "burn-at-will" CDs that will cost them $0.20-$0.30 for a blank disc ($0.40-$0.50 with a jewel case). My neice and her friends routinely pool their money to buy the latest CD and burn copies for everyone in their group to bring costs down to what they can afford. If the studio release were around $5.00, the time it takes to burn copies would not be worth the savings, and the instances of home copying would be reduced to probably just creating mix-discs for that special someone.
    Similarly, if studios were really smart, they would bring single disc DVD titles down to an MSRP of $10-$12. At this price point, people would be far more willing to buy than rent, as actual retail cost would represent a only slighty higher amount than a rental fee. This removes the rental vendor out of the picture, recovering more profit for the studio. Sure it gives the "chirizo" to Blockbuster, but the studios get to pocket the profit directly. This is something they've have always wanted to do as evidenced by DIVX (the most misguided thing in entertainment since allowing Greedo to shoot first).
    Currently video pirates are using the web to distribute a great deal of bootleg DVD product that is of studio quality for less than $10 U.S. per title to the buyer from parts of the world like Malyasia. This is with all of the region coding/RCE/macrovision in place on the studio discs used as source material. If the bootleggers can sell them that cheap, the amount of profit must be high and attractive enough to risk the related possibilities of criminal prosecution pirating entails where copyright laws are enforced. In countries where copyright enforcement is simply ignored by law enforcement, electronic anti-copying measures never have or will be effective at reducing piracy. those countries will always represent a loss to the studio, so why bother. If small-scale-back-room operations (relatively) can distribute world-wide with such quality and low cost, imagine what the real studios could do to make their product more affordable?
    As long as piracy and is seen as an alternative due to cost, it will flourish. When studios realize this, and move away from maximizing profit on every title to a more volume = more profit model, bootleggers will continue to operate unabated.
    Similar thinking didn't work with alcohol during prohibition, has not helped us win the "War on Drugs," and simply does not work with audio/video piracy now.
    To ignore history is to repeat it. Get ready for the re-runs everybody.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if i may ask...

what is rce and how does it work? i did a quick search but couldn't find an explanation...

thx

6. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

RCE = region coding enhancement. It is essentially a new feature on the DVD that will prevent it from being played on a region free (i.e. hacked) DVD player.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ah...thanks paul! [​IMG]

8. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator