RCE discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i know that only a few discs have this encoded into them but does the cover art tell you if the disc is an rce disc or do you just have to know.

i ask because i will be going to the states for a couple of weeks soon and dont want to be picking up a disc that wont work in my player.

2. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

can't see anything on the RCE ones i've got. i think the idea is that they encode a few with RCE then don't tell you explicitly which ones. it's supposed to be a deterant against buying any at all. of course, if the studios just did a decent/equal job in all the other regions, this wouldn't be necessary, but what can you do ? they'll never learn. [​IMG]

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I find it interesting that all the Columbia discs that are RCE encoded (for example, Final Fantasy, Patriot, Saving Silverman [aka Devil Woman in the UK], Hollow Man) are all released by Columbia in R2, while Columbia discs not released by the studio in other regions are NOT RCE encoded:

Memento (and Memento LE) - released by Pathe in R2
    Dogma - released by VCI in R2

I fully expect the upcoming Resident Evil to not be RCE either, to prove my theory (Resident Evil is a Pathe release in the UK)

If it is the case that Columbia is only RCE coding discs which they themselves release overseas, then it makes a mockery of the DVD consortium's claims that discs are region encoded to protect overseas licensees - it literally looks like Columbia couldn't care less about their licensees. It's quite clear that DVDs are region encoded so that studios can boost their profits.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Basically, catalogue titles out on both regions, they dont care about. When a title hits R1 that may not be out iat cinemas in another country yet, or is still on at the cinema, or has just finished its theatrical run, it's likely to be RCE encoded. Finaly Fantasy, America's Sweethearts, Patriot were decent examples at the time.

Dan

5. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

It will be interesting to if Resident Evil is RCE or not, considering that:

(a) It's non-columbria in other regions
    (b) The UK cinema release is due roundabout the time the disc is released in America.

While I understand some of the reasons for region coding (but I do not agree with them) I still think that there is more to the RCE issue than you indicate Dan.