1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

*RCA's* Scenium HD61W140 RPTV scores big in TPV review!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Having advised numerous times against purchasing products from Thomson Multimedia, I'm happy to tell you that Terry Paulin has reviewed RCA's top-of-the-line widescreen RPTV in the current issue of The Perfect Vision, saying it "produces the best image I've ever seen on an RPTV." (Never mind that another TPV reviewer said the same thing about Toshiba's new LCoS-based 57-inch RPTV in the same issue.)

Other than an inability to achieve a perfectly accurate grayscale response at the lowest light levels with his test unit, Paulin waxes rhapsodic about the RCA's performance, noting that it alone among all current RPTVs is capable of achieving that looking-through-a-window clarity of true HD (the set's internal ATSC tuner/decoder is based largely on the time-honored DTC-100, apparently).

So there you go. Just when you thought it was safe to stereotype a manufacturer's products, a pleasant surprise comes along.

What next? State-of-the-art reference speakers from, say, Bose? Stranger things have happened.

FYI.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, a great picture...for as long as it works. [​IMG]
    But honestly, I don't know why Thomson couldn't be competitive technologically, if the execs decide not to cheap out on the manufacturing. I'd love to see the RCA brand mean something positive again.
    Jan

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Jack,

I had the same comment. RCA TV's out of the box look fine. Years ago I had their top of the line 26 in tube set. It had a great picture. Unfortunately it cost me more in repairs over the course of 3 years, than what I originally paid for it. The out of box quality was great, the reliability was absolutely terrible. Recent investigations I've done through consumer mags and other sources continue to show that Thompson products have very poor reliability. I'd have to say buyer beware on their projection TV. I certainly would recommend an extended warranty on the set for anyone who decided to purchase one.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Funny how the reviewer never mentioned the built-in DVD!

And said reviewer did not compare it to other makes or models. Just, it was the best he'd seen.

'Un'-reliability, always an RCA 'trademark'.

5. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

isnt that the same reviewer who said divx was a great idea? [​IMG]

6. John McCutcheon

John McCutcheon Auditioning

The HD*W140 has no built-in DVD player, that would be the D*W135D 's. The HD*W140's have a built-in ATSC tuner. I saw a HD52W140 at Circuit City a few weeks ago and the picture looked very nice. I saw the following posted on another forum:

"I was at a technical seminar yesterday given by Thomson. We were introduced to the Scenium projection line. The chassis is German made. It is entirely made of plastic. The tecnology is impressive but hardly unique. Picture quality from DVD was fair but not great. The price is very good. The method of repair is primarily board replacement. That means it should be pretty fast in warranty and pretty expensive out of warranty."

The next post on the same forum was from a guy who's HD52W140 had died the same day. Sounds to me like the RCA's are definite canidates for extended warranties.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Too bad!

It would have been nice to see a sidebar about Thomson reliability issues, given the marque's pathetic repair history.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

RCA's have the potential to look as good as any other set on the market when set up properly. That has never been an issue.

How long will the TV last? That is the issue. Reliability is concern one. These things just don't seem to last long before they start doing funny things and making funny sounds.

A review of a TV done for a magazine cannot possibly evaluate something like that.

Regards