What's new

rca Y-splitter work for component switching? (1 Viewer)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the money to buy a good component switcher for my tv (only a 20" samsung with component video) but I was wondering if I could get three sets of cables to split the component input into two (like the one male end goes into the tv, while it y-splits to two females for the component cables to connect to)... would this work? I only want to be able to connect my GameCube and my DVD player up through that and run the sound through a receiver for each of them... Any help would be fantastic. Thanks,

-Brice

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you don't care about bandwidth issues (for component video), then you can get a $20 4-to-1 switcher from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Target, etc that's designed for left/right audio and composite video (3 RCA jacks per input). But it can be used to do the component switching of the 3 video cables (red, green, blue). But the performance may suffer if you go this route. These switchers allow for 4 devices to be hooked up (right/left audio and composite video) and fed into one input on a TV. You will have to push the corresponding button to select the input connected to the box.

If you get the switch box:

Right (Red) => Red video cable
Left (White) => Blue video cable
Video (Yellow => Green video cable

(Just be consistent in the cabling/colors)

It might be a better solution than using Y-connectors.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
The Y-adapter thing won't work. It has been tried numerous times. Just get any old audio/video switchbox (the one with 1 red, 1 white and 1 yellow RCA/phono plugs per input). Just use the white jack for the blue plug and the yellow jack for the green plug. It will work and I doubt you'll see any degradation in the picture.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I used a cheap $20 switchbox before I got a new reciever. It worked fine. I am confident you will see no degradation, expecially on a 20" set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks