RCA TV/DVD codes for Onkyo RC-649M remote

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jimmyklein06, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jimmyklein06

jimmyklein06 Auditioning

I own a RCA 20F510TD tv/dvd combo and an Onkyo HTS-790 home theater-in-a-box system. The RC-649M remote that came with the HTS-790 has the ability to control other devices, with the proper programming code.

The 4 digit codes in the manual, I need to program my Onkyo RC-649M remote control, don't seem to work. I'm following the programming directions, but nothing seems to work...

I thought, perhaps, the codes in the manual are old, but lately the RCA website has been acting up...so I am unable to retrieve that information. And, after phone calls to Onkyo and RCA...well, RCA couldn't help me because I'm programming a non-RCA remote and Onkyo told me that the codes are correct and up to date.

Does any one know what code or codes I need to program my remote? I'm starting to suspect that I'm not following the procedure correctly...I'm mean, how can all these codes be wrong? Thanks

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

You can try the DVD codes instead of the TV codes, that may work,but it's more likely that the RC649M's Remote does not have that vast of an IR DATAbase built into the remote.

Also try programming it for another TV in your house (or a neighbors/friends) that is not a Combo unit to insure that you are indeed going throught the correct programming procedure.

You will most likely get stuck using two remotes unless you get a "learning" remote. Like the MX-500 (entry level). Then you could get rid of both manufactures remotes and have one remote with all the features on it that you want.

3. jimmyklein06

jimmyklein06 Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions...

I was hoping not to buy any more equipment, especially on a $70+ remote. At the moment, I can't justify spending more money when all I have to do is figure out how to program the remote.

I'll be trying the remote on other TV's...and I hope my problem is not the lack of a "IR database" as you suggested..

4. jimmyklein06

jimmyklein06 Auditioning

I was able to program the remote for other TV's....which is very frustrating....
    I am wondering, since mine is a TV/dvd combo and seems newer than my friends TVs.... that the proper code is not listed with the other RCA codes...

the other tv's i programed were not RCAs....

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Good, That proves you are not doing anything wrong. It's hard in the combo units. You may find one of the DVD Codes to work the DVD functions, but then not the TV Power. It's very frustrating in the combo units. At least you know you are doing the programming sequence correctly. You'll probably end up with 2 remotes. or watch ebay for a learning remote. I just picked an MX-500 up for $50.00. That would take care of everything. (actually got that from the for sale area of this forum).