RCA to XLR adapter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Darren_T, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Is there such a beast? I need one [​IMG] I can't seem to locate one.

Darren

2. Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton Stunt Coordinator

Darren:

I have your solution...

I bought a Behringer RCA to XLR adapter-box-thingy for about 30 bucks at a music store. I don't have the name handy but it's called a D-1 or DD-1 or something like that. It converts RCA non-balanced outputs to balanced XLR outputs (2-channel) and in the process adds a +6 dB boost to the signal in the conversion process. It also has 10, 20, and 40 dB attenuation settings (or thereabouts) which you will probably not want to use. It's actually made for plugging guitars or other high impedance devices directly into a mixing board without having to use a mic or intermediate amplifier.

There is also a gizmo called a "Rane BB-1 Balance Buddy" which does the same thing as the above gadget except it provides the necessary correction for the -4 dBu to +10 dBv difference in home versus pro equipment. It's about 140 bucks and is what I'm going to have to get to run my Yamaha LFE to my Mackie 1400i pro amp.

Right now I'm feeding my LFE to the Behringer Box doo-dad and then to a Pioneer pre-amp before going to my Tumult sub. Problem is I have to have the volume on the pre-amp CRANKED to get acceptable bass levels and am eating up a lot of amplifier headroom because the signal is not quite HOT enough even with the 6 dB boost from the Behringer black box doo-hickey. It helped some but still need more boost which the Rane Balance Buddy should provide, or if worse comes to worst than I have been advised by Mackie that a cheap 2-input mixing board will do the trick as it has low level inputs (like for home units) and converts to the proper voltage/impedance downstream...

Behringer makes one of those too, for about $50 bucks.[​IMG]

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Thanks Jeffery,

Sounds like you got all my bases covered [​IMG]

4. Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton Stunt Coordinator

At this point I sure hope so. I've been chasing my tail for nigh about 6 months now try to get this home audio to pro mismatch/debacle/fiasco corrected...[​IMG]

I take it your going to run a sub with all this????[​IMG]

5. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Yes, this is in preparation for my next sub. It's a PR'd AV15 which will be replacing my 214L Tempest.