RCA to S-Video, moved post

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimHal, Sep 12, 2001.

1. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I originally had this in "Building a Home Theater". It probably should be located here. So here we go...
    I currently have an RCA to S-Video adapter for my VCR. I was wondering if you can buy an S-Video cable and terminate one end with an RCA plug.
    Could you just group the four wires inside an S-Video cable into two and then terminate with the RCA end?
    Thanks.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Nope. The converter box you have has hardware in it that converts the signal. Composite and S-video signals are completely different. You can't plug one into the other.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Matt Cook

Matt Cook Auditioning

You can buy adaptors to go on the end of the cable www.Jaycar.com.au here is australia have them PA-3574 $4.95
    or about $2.50 US.

4. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

Matt Your Part # does not match up!!
    Does any one have a schmetic for and S-Video to 3-RCA adapter??
    If a conveter of some sort is needed, how does is work??
    thanks In Advance

5. Bill Catherall

Jim and Rich...exactly what are you trying to achieve by using RCA type jacks with an S-video signal? If we knew your reasoning, perhaps we can make better suggestions.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I do have an adapter now. I use it to convert my VCR to S-Video going into my reciever. I use my receiver for video switching.
    I was just looking for a way to get rid of the adapter.

7. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know what the "insides" of one of these adapters looks like. Is it possible to make your own in-line in a cable.

8. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

I am also intending to use this cable for signal going into my reciever from my VCR.

9. Walt Meger

Walt Meger Auditioning

try partsexpress.com the desired inline adaptors, one for S-video to RCA and one for RCA to S-video, are featured in their latest flyer(got mine today) about $4 each. they are quite small and go inline on the cable ends.
    ------------------

10. Bill Catherall

So I guess then I'm wondering why you're putting a composite signal through an S-video input. You're not going to get a better picture. It still isn't a native S-video signal. Is it simply because you don't have enough inputs on your TV? I say just keep it simple and run your composite signal through the RCA input of the TV (or receiver if you need to). If your receiver can do S-video switching then certainly it can do composite switching.
    Actually, I'm willing to bet that you can get a better picture running the composite signal from the VCR into the composite input ("RCA") of the TV then you can through the S-video. The reason is because (as I understand it) the S-video input by-passes the comb filter of the TV. Your adapter probably has a comb filter in it, and it's probably not a very good one. I'm willing to be wrong on this, but that's what I'm thinking.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bill Catherall on September 15, 2001 at 12:32 AM]