RCA to HD15 Calbe - Can I use it?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark Shannon, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

A cable similar to this one:

[​IMG]

was included with my TV when I purchased it. I know that it can connect to the HD input on the rear of my television. What I would like to know is if I can connect the RCA end of this to the component out on my reciever and, if I do, will the picture quality be affected for better or for worse?

2. Mark Shannon

...anyone?

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

First off, the only reason to plug the cable into your receiver is if you're using the receiver as a video switch (multiple video sources in, one cable out). If you already have component inputs on your TV then using VGA or this VGA to RCA cable will offer no difference in PQ given the same source. If you're TV does not have component inputs (which is what your original post leads me to believe) then hooking up something like a dvd player using this would give you a better picture quality... but there are some caveats. First off you need to know whether your TV accepts a component video (Y/Pr/Pb) signal over the DB15 (VGA style) input. If it does then you can hook this cable up to any progressive scan dvd player and then to your TV. If the DB15 only accepts VGA (or RGB) signal then you'll need a device that's able to output VGA (RGB) and DVD players that output RGB are few and far between.

Giving us the model of the TV and other equipment you want to hook up would help us help you more than anything.

4. Mark Shannon

Heh, you kind of misunderstood me (or maybe I just didn't explain it well). I already have everything connected and am satisfied with my Panasonic SAHE100 reciever, and RCA D52130 TV. The TV has both Y/Pr/Pb and DB15 inputs. I don't have any problems with the at the moment, but am simply wondering if I could use the Component-to-DB15 cable, to plug into the corresponding input on the TV, and if it would still work. The TV lists it as an HD input when I scroll through the multiple input options.

I imagine when I eventually get digital cable, I will have to use this cable, as I have only one component input on the TV, and no more left on the reciever.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If the DB15 input will accept a component (Y/PB/PR) signal then it would work fine. Since the TV has component inputs too then my guess is the DB15 input is VGA (RGB) only. If the HD box you get has a VGA output on it or the ability to ouput RGB over RCA connections then it will work, but I doubt this will be the case.