What's new

RCA to F-Type for video? (1 Viewer)

Xanadu

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I'm in the process of building an A/V room and I want to do it as right as I can (while staying on my budget). It's a freshly studded room in my basement, and everything is going behind the walls. I'm in the process of plotting out my layout.

I've read in various forums that using RG6 wire with F-Type connectors for audio runs is a solid alternative to RCA cables, so I've purchased some RCA to F snapins and wall plates to customize the setup.

Is the same setup viable for video as well? I've seen some posts say it is, and some say it limits the signal to "broadcast quality". What is the preferred method of running video cable, and what is the maximum length I can use to produce high-quality results?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hello and welcome to HTF!

While I understand running some coax for the subwoofer, most audio interconnects only have to run a few feet from a source to your amp.

You DONT want to use coax for amplified audio signals. You use coax for the weak, line-level signals before they become amplified. For the speaker-level (powered signals) you use speaker wire.

The smart thing to do for your video cables is to order from a custom house. These places use the coax and connectors that the production studios use. A favorite around here is www.bluejeanscables.com . The owner is a member here and has lots of satisfied customers.

I would recommend you buy and run cables to create a un-broken run for everything. Use blank wall-plates and drill holes for a custom look. Later, you can cut the wires off and install plates with connectors, but save that for later.

Speaker Wires: Make sure to buy 12 ga wires with the fire-resistant insulation (CL3 or "in-wall" rated). Near the outlet, zig-zag the wires between the studs using insulated staples. But lightly tack the staples. Years from now you may need to cut the ends of the speaker wires so you tug to pop the first staple to give yourself some slack. Tug again for more.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks