What's new

RCA Sub (1 Viewer)

MikeDep

Auditioning
I have an RCA 200 watt sub...and all I can say is never waste your money...this thing bottoms out and distorts something terrible....but the amp is pretty good...

so...

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to buy a very expensive woofer....like an infinity Kappa Perfect...12 inch...throw that in the sub box with the amp and run it...would that work...and if so would it sound good?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I would not recommend using a Car Audio Subwoofer, the main reason is they are designed to play in a confined space so if you threw it in the enclosure of your exhisting sub it would quite frankly sound like crap no matter what you did. What I would suggest is checking out sites like partsexpress for raw drivers. just because its a name you've never heard of doesn't mean it wont sound good, there are many "no name" companys out there that believe it or not make drivers for many reputable "top name" speaker manufacturers, buying direct will get you a much better price on a very high quality speaker. or you could just get the DLS 10" self powered sub for 100bux and be really happy with it. I doubt the RCA amplifier has anywhere close to 200 real watts unfortunately but its your call.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to JeremyFr, but it would be a shame to waste the sub amp. If it's a good sub amp, then by all means change the sub out. If the amp clips off after the change out with the new and better sub, then the amp is not worth the screws that hold it in. Suprisingly I found that Radio Shack (unless they changed the speaker mfg) has some pretty good woofers, 8 inch, 10 inch and 12s. I have an 8 inch sub placed in a box I built with braces and everything, never bottomed out and really an ass kicker hooked up to a 250 wpc amp.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
you can easily use a car sub. They are all the same. You just have to look at the specs. Ur amp probably doesnt have enough power but a brahma would be an awesome choice.

MikeDep

Auditioning
well I was interested in an infnity....like a Kappa perfect 12" sub....what do you think..

and why are car audio subs shaped so much different?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The way I see it is...the only way you'll ever really know how it would sound is to try it. Just keep your reciepts in case it sounds less than you expected. ;)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Car subs are designed with a completely different Q rating and designed to work in very confined spaces, yes sometimes you get lucky and have one that sounds ok in a house but in the long run you're going to be better off going with a speaker designed for home use, not to mention that most car speakers are designed for a 4ohm impedance where most home stuff is 6-8 ohms so that poor little RCA amp may not be rated to drive such a low impedance. Trust me you are much better using something else but a car audio woofer. Because of the difference in Car subs vs home subs its going to take a lot more raw power to drive that sub to the same levels that a home sub could achieve with less power, ever notice how half the time you go to a car audio shop they have to run the subs off some of the largest amps to make them sound good in the room you're in it'll be the same for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks