RCA STAV-3970 good or bad?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianHo, Apr 19, 2003.

1. BrianHo

BrianHo Agent

I am looking for a good reciever for about $200. Anybody heard this one or know of a good one for that price? I have an older Technics and want to upgrade to one that has 5.1. Mine only has Dolby pro logic.

Thanks
    Brian

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Brian,

I also replied in your other posting, so look there too.

From a personal standpoint, I would avoid RCA for my electronics needs. The quality just "ain't" there anymore.

If you want a slightly more advanced receiver you could try a Panasonic receiver with DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX decoding.

If your budget is small and you just can't increase it much ($200 won't get you a whole lot of anything in receivers), there was a sale at Best Buy on a Pioneer receiver for just under $300 that included DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX decoding. I can't comment on the quality, though.

Denon and Pioneer Elite make better quality receivers in comparison, but you will need to save up a little bit more, but they're worth it.

Dan

3. BrianHo

BrianHo Agent

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hey Brian,

I am currently using a Technics Pro-Logic receiver as well, and like you, I am looking for an inexpensive receiver.

The STAV-3970 from Radio Shack, if I remember correctly, is actually manufactured by Pioneer for Radio Shack, which signed a pact with Thomson Electronics to sell only RCA-branded electronics. The 3970, is you can get one new-in-the-box for about $150.00, should be quite a good buy. Circuit City is currently clearing out its inventory of Pioneer VSX-D711 at $180.00 new-in-box. Also, I've seen Yamaha's HTR-5540 for $170.00 plus shipping at J&R. If you want to go below $150.00, keep your eyes on the Sherwood 6108 at Circuit City; it regularly goes on sale for $130.00. The Sherwood has been well received here at HTF as an inexpensive home theater receiver, and even at that low price, it has 96kHz/24-bit capable DACs.

Granted, all the above-mentioned receivers are "only" 5.1 surround receivers. If you can go another $100.00, you can get receivers with 6.1 decoding capabilities. Some even have pre-outs like the new Pioneer 912, which can be had on the internet for about $225.00.

If you don't mind "remanufactured" receivers, go check out Harman Kardon and Onkyo at their respective websites.

5. GinaOrt

GinaOrt Auditioning

Hello, I see it's been a very long time since this was posted, But are you still looking for RCA STAV-3970.

Let me know if you are I have one and it works great.

Gina

6. ogart2012

ogart2012 Auditioning

i am interested in your rca stav-3970 receiver. please email me back with all info on this unit. btw, does it include manual and remote? thanks, mike porcello

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I wold say anything from RCA is bad! Especially RCA audio!

8. mberndt

mberndt Auditioning

I have an Optimus (RadioShack) STAV-3790 that just got upgraded (AKA Pioneer VSX-D508). I've used it for about 12 years (I think...), and it's always been and still is a good A/V Receiver. Only reason I replaced it was because it was too old to support the new Blu-Ray audio codecs, and I'd just purchased a new TV and Blu-Ray player. If you don't visualize Blu-Ray in your immediate future, it is a great legacy Receiver. Has 2 Optical / 1 D-Coax, Sub pre-out, and supports Dolby Digital 5.1. It DOES NOT do DTS though, but that wasn't too much of a proplem for me when I bought it. If you want to spec it out, just Google Optimus STAV-3790. I do have the manual & remote, and found a PDF version of the repair manual for the D508 which was downloaded more for insurance it I ever needed it repaired (which I haven't had to do). Again, let me stress this is NOT an RCA product (RCA seems to be a 4-letter word here!). The Receiver is very obviously OEM'd by Pioneer. Michael