What's new

RCA Scenium is here (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's finally officially announced, so I can tell you guys.
Nice looking plastics I think (although we all have a bit of fun with the power button which looks a bit like a blue HAL eye :)).
I haven't seen a proper demo of a good LCOS set with good material, but even with NTSC crap on non-calibrated or sellable sets and it looks to have nice color range and brightness.
Of course, Scenium is simply the new RCA high-end name, replacing the ProScan line (Europe already has the Thomson Scenium). The TVs being used to launch the name look promising, espeically the LCOS sets that I mention. They are several inches thinner in depth than your standard RPTV.
Link Removed

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Mr. 4000-Club-Member.
So, Scenium is to RCA what Lexus is to Toyota and Acura is to Honda and Batman is to Bruce Wayne, eh?
The way you describe these sets, they sound as if they might look similar to Loewe's offerings. Would that be accurate?
Also, are there going to be 16:9 direct-views in the lineup? What about such home-theater ameninities as 16:9 raster compression on 4:3 sets? Is SVM defeatable?
In short, tell us everything.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Seth, where are these sets being made? & if it's Mexico I hope RCA has done something about their Quality Control. It seems ever sense Thomson moved to Mexico their sets have had nothing but problems. I do wish that they would have made the sets black or dark grey instead of silver & in that reguard I don't understand why other companies let Sony set the standard & then go copy them. I'll bet after all the other companies move to sliver sets Sony will then go back to black sets & again Sony will stand out on the showroom floor. At least JVC is giving you a choice of colors on some of their sets. As I've said in other posts, when you go to the movie theater you don't see a silver boarder running around the screen to reflect light. :)

Han

Second Unit
I hope Scenium is the Lexus to RCA's Toyota... well, Toyota is generally good to begin with. With the past, I couldn't tell a lick of difference between Proscan and RCA, or even Technics and Panasonic. They just weren't the major difference in quality like say Sony ES or Pioneer Elite were to their respective common versions.
As with many people, I'm eagerly awaiting that LCOS set. 1 set of component inputs is a little alarming though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the silver-cabinets fad, notice how the new Sony WEGAs for 2002 are getting a darker look? (It's like when Apple's iMac and G3 came out--soon, every other computer manufacturer was aping the look. Even Philips is mimicking the transluscent iMac look on a thirteen-inch televisin.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

KeithR

Second Unit
For 6k, u can buy a front projector and have a 100" wide screen. I saw the Samsung FLCD and it was aweful...I am more interested when these technologies (LCOS and FLCD) trickle down to smaller sizes for bedrooms, etc.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Obviously I can't give any more insight on company stuff than is publicly known. So keep that in mind.
That being said, it should be obvious that Scenium is the high-end line for Thomson (Europe) and now RCA (America). If you take a look at the new site, you will see that the LCOS is similar in style to the picture just above, although I like the look of the LCOS a bit better.
LCOS is simply a different approach (using reflective LCD basically) to the DLP (mirrors) concept. Those sets are thinner and lighter, and I like their brightness so far. 2 of us could easily lug one of those (i think 50" 16x9) around, up stairs, etc. You've got to love that. Much lighter than the larger tubes (say 36", 38").
We also have a model that I think is not quite out yet, but soon, and it should have raster squeeze (area scanned is 16x9, utilizing all 480 lines of image, or 1080 for HDTV). Not sure about the HDTV approach on 4x3 regarding this, but yes you should find yourself with the ability to enjoy your anamorphic DVDs on the next sets.
Yes, Thomson still has production in Mexico. We just had layoffs (announced Thursday), and that is usually followed by some re-org, so you might see some improved approaches to deal with quality issues.
I think the new high-end line represents to the public the concept that the company recognizes the value in the high-end sets and wants to be a strong member of that area of sales.
Also keep in mind that in America we are seeing sales of large (non-tube) sets really taking off and a good CE company would be very aware of this changing ratio in sales. America is really becoming all about large digital sets I think, so without any inside info I would guess that 16x9 tubes aren't going to be big here (although the nice 38310's are back out and available). Europeans don't benefit as much from the standardization for HDTV that we have in the US and they seem to be a smaller, tube TV market there.
Can't speak for sure on all sets, but I do think the benefit of a defeatable SVM is recognized for sets that it applies to.
Even Philips is mimicking the transluscent iMac look on a thirteen-inch television
Yeah, we have had some 13" sets just like that (green/blue and purple). Did you know that TVs for prisons have to be clear, so that things couldn't be hidden inside by prisoners, snuck in, and so components are visibly not missing (for making devices I would guess).
The clear sets are kinda cool. But all companies love to play with the plastics in hopes of capturing the public's attention. I bought a blue/green one for our kitchen and people seem to get a kick out of it.
Anyway, I hope some of you guys at least take a look at some of these new efforts as they hit the street. RCA definately seems to be showing an interest in regaining some respect in the high-end TV market. Just look at the 36100 series multimedia sets. Very well-regarded product and they make a kick-ass 36" 800x600 monitor (I use one). The Sims on 36", who doesn't love that.
wink.gif
:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jack, you will note that the True Flats (4:3 flat tube HDTVs - ie Wegas
wink.gif
) mention the squeeze mode (anamorphic mode).
BTW, guys. The new remotes coming with these are actually very nice, pretty darn programmable (I think at LEAST 3 macros, plus the ability to remap, I think, almost all of the buttons), and completely backlit with a nice option of either having that on or off in a manner that it will come on when you turn it on OR upon any other button press, etc.
Short of a Pronto, this is one of the better remotes I think you will come across. It's by far my favorite RCA remote. It also has a good feel in the hand (IMHO) and a nice silver and greenish look to go with the Scenium look.
Whoops, keep in mind that not all sets have that remote. For sure it is with the LCOS set. Be sure to go to the page I linked and then follow the products line to the LCOS specs, the remote is pictured there. You will see the 3 macro buttons just above the "direction/channel/volume" buttons.
Oh, and one more thing. The LCOS set is just like the 38310 in that you get the ATSC (HDef) decoder, the DirecTV decoder, and a Dolby Digital optical out from the ATSC/DirecTV receiver part. So it's a nice all-in-one package. Slap an antenna on it and you've got HDTV out of the box.
icon14.gif

[Edited last by Seth Paxton on July 13, 2001 at 02:39 PM]
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on July 13, 2001 at 02:56 PM]

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So Seth....how is the black level and dark scene renditions on these sets?
(Just had to post a technical question, hehe)
Does each input have seperate memories (ie. grayscale, brightness, SVM, etc)?

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I have always been a big fan of RCA menus. I really like the menus on my Proscan dvd player & RCA vcr's. Have you seen the menu system yet? I wish companies would design website's showing what the menus looked like for products. Will the new name end up on dvd players, vcr's & HDTV boxes? On the site I ordered a catalog & they told me they were sending me a Proscan catalog? When do you thik these products will be out?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I didn't code any of these sets and haven't gotten to look at the specs closely, so I could be wrong.
But I am pretty sure you will have unique settings auto-stored for each input. There was also talk of a custom "pre-set" like your Theater, Bright, Showroom, etc. but I don't know if that went in these sets or not.
I think SVM is selectable per input, but not sure. I can look into it. You might want to go to the website and look into the manual which I think are being made available. Again, all I am saying are things the company has already publically stated, and discussing the quality of sets that have already been publically demo'd.
I have NOT seen a serious demo in a quality setting on a top flight set. Coding usually gets sets that might not make quality standards because you don't need video quality to test most code of course. Plus, most of my viewings are under flourescent lighting.
However, I have been impressed with the bright color that LCOS is getting. But cable-NTSC looks kinda yucky IMHO. No surprise there though, these sets deserve at least a DSS input or better to make it worth the money. There is only so much you can do with a nasty video signal and low resolution. It's hard to hide a bad signal on these better sets.
As for the true flats, without seeing in next to a Wega (which I am sure someone in the company must do, but not me) it's hard to distinguish. But it seems similar in picture. I have been asking about the Wega squeeze as it was hard for me to tell what they were doing, but it appears that their approach might not be the raster squeeze, but instead using 480 lines of the 1080 via the DSP. I see no visible indication of raster squeeze on those (like empty tube space when nothing is scanned). The True Flats are using raster squeeze instead which means more scan lines in the picture even if you only have 480 lines of unique info. Again, I have asked here, but not seen a great answer on just how Sony is doing their squeeze.
My only knock so far on the LCOS is the cabinet does not allow for a center speaker on top. Sets are getting too cool for their own good. :) But it is a sharp looking cabinet.
MENUS - What I have seen all seem to be of the DSS receiver style that seems to be the new RCA standard. If you have a DSS box or the DTC-100 then you are familiar with these. I like that style myself.
Some or all of these sets come with Video Guide which gets guide info from broadcast stations for those with cable or OTA only. I like those guides but I don't use them since I have DirecTV.
I think both the True Flats and LCOS are just a month or 2 away, but that's only a guess from someone no more qualified to say than a salesmen at Best Buy. Plus, in business you never know when something might show up that delays release, from tech to legal. So far so good as far as I know.
icon14.gif
If you were about to make a purchase and might want to consider one of these sets in comparison, then I would wait on their release.
Also, I believe that you will find that RCA will be bringing you lots of Scenium products in other areas besides TVs, so maybe VCRs or perhaps DSS boxes. They definately want to bring a new top-line standard to the company.
BTW, I have not seen a plasma here, so I can't speak to that. But my experience with other company's plasmas was "why" when I can get a better picture from an RPTV or tube for much, much less.
Basically I think LCOS and DLP HDTV RPTVs are the things to get now. Personal taste but I'm not sure if tubes are going to be able to keep up with so many quality RPTVs coming out in the 40-65" range. You still have some RPTV problems like viewing angle, but those problems are really becoming much less of a problem and tubes are just starting to struggle to find a home. Low cost, high quality, big picture...it's hard to argue against these new HDTVs. (although I do enjoy my FPTV quite a bit :)).
32" and 36" tubes are quickly becoming the norm on the shelves and I doubt you will see anyone trying to push tubes larger than that through because of the cost/weight/etc.
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on July 14, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The LCOS looks promising, but 50" is too small! Are you able to hint if there are larger versions planned?
I'd like to get a 60". (Also agree top of cabinet should support speaker, and would really like at least 2 HD component video inputs, and IEEE1394/5c capability).

Mark Rogo

Grip
Yes, a new Sony 40" is due before year end. I think the point is that such sets won't be all that common, which is probably true.
The 40" tube is going to be $3K+ at retail. Plasmas are coming down in price fairly rapidly (lowest price for the stellar Panny is $5400ish).
It seems unlikely we'll see too much action in tubes at 40" or bigger, despite the entry of Sony into the market.
Mark

Willy K

Auditioning
Here's a reason to love these loony message boards. I'm going to ask a couple of questions. First off can anyone tell me if LCOS TV's have a burn in issue? Secondly anyone care/dare to compare the coming 40" Sony XBR tube to this 50" Scenium? All I know is $3500 for one compared to approx. $5500 for the other. Usage will include Digital cable to start with, a dish will be used again after I move. X Box. Probably the Pan.RP91 Hooked up to a new Marantz SR7200. I guess with that model, the fact the Scenium has only 1 component input wont matter I think. Interestingly enough I expect to get answers to questions on products that havn't even hit the market. Gotta love these whacked boards.

Mark Rogo

Grip
(1) There is no burn-in issue with the LCOS TV. It basically uses LCD-type technology. No burn in!
(2) I cannot compare two TVs when I've only seen one. But, I can tell you a few facts:
* The 50" LCOS Scenium displays a much larger picture than the 40" Wega.
* The Wega is a 4:3 set. Is the LCOS widescreen? If so, the aspect ratios are different
* The LCOS is only 18" deep. The Wega is probably twice that.
* The LCOS won't hold a center channel speaker atop it. The Wega will.
* The built-in line doubler on today's Wega's makes NTSC over cable/satellite/Tivo look like crap to me. I would not buy a Wega for this reason.
* The Scenium includes a built-in satellite box. I believe the Wega will not. Remove $500 from the price differential for this.
Mark

Jim Thompson

Agent
Hey Seth,Plainfield,Avon area here.
Just saying hi. :)
------------------
Go sell crazy somewhere else,We're all stocked up here!

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Got my Scenium catalog (not the Proscan), but it's a waste.
No specs. just a few pictures. What a waste of money for RCA. I hope they are going to come out with a better catalog with all the specs. & etc like the old Proscan & RCA catalogs they were handy to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks