RCA Jack Wall Plates?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Larry_Falgi, May 19, 2006.

1. Larry_Falgi

Larry_Falgi Auditioning

I'm getting ready to run speaker wire in a house under construction. The receiver I will be using has RCA jacks for speaker connections. The only wall plates I can find have either banana plugs or binding posts. Most common RCA cables have a plug on both ends. I would like to use these RCA cables from the receiver to a wall plate, without having to cut off the end and fasten it to 2 binding posts, or put two banana plugs on the end. With all this home theater activity going on, I would think there would be a more direct way to get from a RCA jack on my receiver to a wall plate for the speaker connections. Is there some "normal" way this is being done that I am missing, or does anyone make a wall plate with RCA jacks?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Milestek.com has plates with snap in modules that go in the spaces so you can put whatever connections on the plate. Leviton makes them too and Lowes or Home Depot probably carry them.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Larry,
    Sure, it’s no problem finding wall plates with RCA jacks on them. Your local Radio Shack or Home Depot has them. Problem is though, you’re wanting them for the wrong application.

What’s “normal” that you’re missing is that using RCA connectors for speaker wiring is virtually never done. More commonly RCA’s are used for signal cabling. As such, the “common RCA cables” you’re talking about that you see at the stores are not suitable for speaker connections. And they certainly are not suitable for the in-wall wiring you’re talking about. I suggest switching over to binding posts at your wall plate, because that is the primary standard for home speaker connections. Then you can run speaker wire rated for in-wall use from there to your speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Lori_King

Lori_King Auditioning

Hi Larry-

Wayne is correct, but I have a few more things to add that may help. It is my understanding that the reason that it is not easy to find an RCA connection on a wall plate is because RCA is for low level signalling (as Wayne stated).

Another thing that I learned is that most televisions are not strong enough in signal to carry sound to other speakers. That is why on the back of a television you'll see RCA audio connections, but not banana jacks or binding jacks. The receiver sends the stronger signal, and you'll notice that your receiver has a binding jack or banana jack connection that outputs to the speaker system. I made a cable using 4 banana plugs (2 on each end)- I couldn't find one premade- didn't look hard- 1 store. It made sense to me that if the receiver is made to output via banana/binding that I'd keep the same connection. I wouldn't mess with crimping an RCA to the ends, but if you do, I'd be curious to hear the results!